four

"Alright, Clarissa, I should think one more should do it for the night." Professor Sprout said.

Detentions with Professor Sprout were always some of Clary's favorites. They usually involved weeding plants, such as tonight, which was much easier than the detention work the other professors made her do. The kicker was, the work was without magic, so they were slightly more of a challenge than usual. But Clary adored Professor Sprout, and weeding plants wasn't too difficult, especially with her guidance.

"Okay," Clary said, reaching the last sopophorus plant in front of her and getting to work on weeding it.

"There you go," Professor Sprout said with a proud smile. "now you've got it. Now go on back to the castle before it gets dark."

"Thank you," Clary said, setting down the tools and grabbing her bag. "see you in the morning for class, Professor."

"Good night, Miss Weasley," Professor Sprout called after Clary as she left the greenhouse, shutting the door behind her and turning back toward the castle.

"Done already?" a voice asked, and she turned to see Cedric leaning against the greenhouse wall. Clary rolled her eyes, continuing her walk up the hill toward the castle at the top. "C'mon Clary, talk to me. You can't be mad at me for giving you a detention after you pranked me."

"How's Cho?" Clary finally asked, still walking. "Was she not fond of the blue? I thought it suited you."

"Jealous, Weasley?" he asked, a smirk crossing his features as he caught up with her.

Clary scoffed, rolling her eyes and cracking a small smile as she looked over at him. "You wish, Diggory."

"Why did you do it?" he asked. "Why did you do it? Why do you prank me so much? Do you hate me? Was there something I did to you first year to make you want to prank me nonstop these last six years? Why don't you just give it a rest or prank someone else? I know your brothers wouldn't have a problem with that."

"No," she said, shaking her head. "I don't hate you. It's quite the opposite, actually. I actually like you very much. I don't know why I do it, I guess. You know me and my brothers, we like to pull pranks. It's just who we are. Pranking you is fun, I guess. The way you react to them is funny, and even though this year you can give us detentions, it's still the same as it's always been. I think that's why I do it."

"Okay then," he said.

"Look," Clary said. "the hair thing was a bit of a risk, I'll admit. I mean, Fred and George had only tested it out on the cat, so we didn't know if it worked the same on humans, I wasn't sure which color to do-"

"Wait what?" he asked.

"I said I wasn't sure which hair color to do." she repeated. "I was thinking a nice green, really thought it'd suit your eyes, but I figured Cho would appreciate the blue a bit more. You know, with her being a Ravenclaw and all."

"No, not the color thing." he said, shaking his head. "You didn't know if it would work correctly?"

She shrugged. "Well, it worked on the cat."

Granted, she didn't see it work on the cat, but apparently it worked on the cat.

"And if it hadn't changed back?" he asked, still looking at the fiery redhead in shock. 

"Then we would've gone to Madame Pomfrey and she could've tried to change it back. I'm sure she has something that could do it. Either that or we'd shave your head and see if it grew back out brown or blue."

"Clary-"

"But it changed back, so I really don't see what the problem is."

"I want you to promise me one thing." Cedric said, stopping and putting his hands on her shoulders to keep her still, staring into her eyes. "Look, you can continue on pranking me or whatever. And, so it's fun for you, I'll react the way I usually would. Where you can laugh, but I'll still give you detention. But please, for the love of Merlin, think your pranks through and know that they'll work before you pull them."

"Alright," Clary said, nodding. "I promise, anyways. Fred and George might not think them through clearly, and there's no stopping that."

"I can accept that," he said, jerking his head in the direction of the castle. "come on, I told Newt that we'd meet him and Vas in the library."

"But I just sat through detention," Clary whined, following after him anyway. "I don't want to go study now."

"Well, whose fault was that?" he asked.

"Who gave me the detention?" she muttered under her breath, cracking a smile as they reached the library.

 Cedric rolled his eyes as they strolled in, finding Newt and Vasantha at one of the back tables. They were both writing notes down on pieces of parchment but as soon as the pair approached, Vas looked up, her eyes meeting Cedric briefly before moving onto Clary's.

"Hey, there they are," she whispered so as not to be yelled at by Madame Pince. "thought you'd be back a while ago. Dementors didn't get you, did they?"

"They tried," Clary joked, sitting down next to Vasantha. 

"Luckily she had a brave young hero to save her." Cedric said with a smirk, straightening his tie. 

"Yeah," Clary said with a nod. "Me."

"Shhh!" a voice exclaimed, and the four fifth years looked over to see Madame Pince glaring at them.

"Sorry," Cedric whispered back to her. "Sorry!"

"Anyways," Newt whispered, and they all leaned in a bit more to hear him better. "these dementor things are so weird. That they can literally suck out your soul and just feed off your happy memories? Good thing I've always got some chocolate around." he said, pulling a chocolate bar out of the pocket of his robes with a proud smile.

"Got that from your uncle Remus, did you?" Clary asked with a smirk. "Anyway, I should be getting back to the common room. I've been weeding sopophorus plants for nearly three hours. Vas, I'll see you in a bit. Boys, I'll see you both tomorrow. Goodnight."

"Night, Clary."