Book 2: chapter 4

Those who do not know me, or not well enough seem surprised to see me, a woman, sit down among them, while the ones who do, show not an inkling of it. In result, no one voices their surprise. That suits me fine.

Once everyone is present, Lord Elrond welcomes us all and begins the council. There I learn of many things that bare us worry, like: the wizard Saruman's betrayal from Gandalf and Legolas tells us of Gollum's escape. Next, Boromir voices his worries considering his land and people.

However important all their stories, I know that those are not the reason for us being here as I glance towards the curly-brown-haired hobbit close to me. He has been sitting quietly throughout the whole event, but can no longer stay hidden as Lord Elrond calls him forth.

The timid hobbit rises from his seat and steps forward reluctantly before stopping in front of a pedestal. He reaches out and places on it, a small golden, quite plain looking ring.

"So it is true!" Boromir calls out, wide eyed.

"Sauron's Ring! The ring of power!" Legolas states in disbelief.

"The doom of man!" Gimli calls out, flinching back.

Soon, the calls die down to quiet murmurs and whispers, signaling that the reality of the situation is settling in the minds of those present. All the while I glance around at the different faces to measure their reactions. Boromir particularly seems to have more interest than disdain for the object in front of us all and it does not take long for him to speak up.

"It is a gift...a gift to the foes of Mordor! Why not use this Ring? Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, held the forces of Mordor at bay...by the blood of our people are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy...let us use it against him!"

His words seem to rub many people the wrong way as Aragorn voices his thoughts on the suggestion made; "You cannot wield it. None of us can. The one ring answers to Sauron alone...it has no other master." he reasons, only to receive a harsh glance from the other human.

"And what would a mere ranger know of this matter?" he sneers.

Before anyone can so much as flinch, Legolas rises, anger in his face and voice. "This is no mere Ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance." the elf counters, surprising Boromir with his words who turns to look at Aragorn.

"Aragorn? This is Isildur's heir?" he voices with skepticism.

"And heir to the throne of Gondor." Legolas adds.

"Havo dad, Legolas...Sit down, Legolas." Aragorn says, making Legolas do as told, a sour look still on his face. I've known that Aragorn met Legolas at some point, but I was unaware of their close friendship. I should not be surprised though, as they are a lot alike in some ways.

"Gondor has no King, Gondor needs no King." Boromir states, making the already tense atmosphere rise to a new level.

"Aragorn is right...we cannot use it." Gandalf cuts in before Lord Elrond speaks up.

"You have only one choice: the ring must be destroyed." the elf lord states.

After a moment of silence Gimli stands up. "Then...what are we waiting for?" he says before striding forward determinately and rising his axe into the air before bringing it back down on the ring. The ring seems unfazed as instead the axe breaks and Gimli stumbled back, his back meeting the floor before he looks up in disbelief.

"The ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess. The ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom...only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor, and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came. One of you must do this." Lord Elrond says standing up and finally uncovering the real purpose of this gathering.

After a moment of grim silence, Boromir speaks again; "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust...the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly." he states.

"Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The ring must be destroyed." Legolas reminds him.

"And I suppose you think you're the one to do it?" Gimli questions he elf daringly.

"And if we fail, what then? What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?" Boromir wonders frustrated.

"I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!" Gimli shouts, leaping to his feat.

At that, the council bursts into argument and nearly everyone is standing and yelling about in each other's faces while fists are raised threateningly. I on the other hand can only sit there in disbelief and look towards the sky with a frustrated sigh.

As I sit there looking at the tufts of clouds drift by, I wonder what I could do to relief the world of this danger....though, isn't it quite obvious? Could I not make use of flight and barge my way though the smoke drifting over Mordor and drop the ring in the hellish fires of Mount Doom?

A hand on my arm pulls me from my thoughts and I look next to me to see the tired face of Gloin. "No lass. I know where those thoughts are leading you, but you know as well as I do that your way is not one of success."

I can feel my face fall in disappointment. He is right. The enemy can see me coming from afar. I would be lucky to cross Rohan without being seen or attacked even. Is there even a way to reach Mordor without being noticed?

I'm pulled from my thoughts as a voice speaks up, first timid, but then clear and strong; "I will take it...I will take it...I will take the Ring to Mordor." it says leaving all silent. I look to see no other than Frodo standing among the tall people around him, looking quite determined. I see Gandalf giving him a pained look.

For a moment, Frodo's determination falters, seeing all the attention drawn to him. It is no wonder, because going to Mordor will mean certain death and not many are familiar with the bravery of hobbits. "Though...I do not know the way." he confesses finally.

"I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear." Gandalf says stepping up to Frodo and placing a calming hand on his shoulder.

I smile and step up also. "That means two for the price of one my dear hobbit." I tell him as Gandalf nods satisfied.

Aragorn follows suit. "If, by my life or death, I can protect you, I will...you have my sword."

"And you have my bow." Legolas says, joining the growing company.

"And my axe!" Gimli says, rushing forward.

Boromir looks around before stepping up also. "You carry the fate of us all, little one. If this is indeed the will of the council, then Gondor will see it done." he says, joining in.

"Here!" calls a sudden voice before a blonde figure darts out of the brush. "Mister Frodo's not going anywhere without me!" Sam calls out to the surprise of many.

"No, Indeed...it is hardly possible to separate you...even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not." Lord Elrond stated dryly making me chuckle.

Two more figures appear from the brush in a mad dash. "Oi! We're coming too! You'll have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us." Merry calls out determinedly.

"Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission... quest... thing..." Pippin adds.

Merry look at his stumbling friend in disbelief. "Well that rules you out Pip."

Elrond looks around thoughtfully before sighing. "Ten companions...so be it. You shall be named the fellowship of the ring." he states.

"Great." Pippin says smiling. "Where are we going?"