Book 2: chapter 21

I draw my bow, taking aim at a vulnerable spot in an orc's defenses before releasing it in sync with the row of elves beside us. I see my target fall, only to be trampled and its place is quickly taken.

"Did they hit anything?!" Gimli asks, jumping up in down. I have no time for a reply however as we ready our next volley, after that, it's a matter of firing at will, losing as many arrows as you can within a short amount of time. Many uruks fall, but it's barely a dent in their numbers. And when they return fire, I see elves start to disappear from the wall.

Ladders are placed near the wall and pulled up against it. We prevent them from getting that far where we can, but some reach anyway and bows are quickly traded for swords.

During the fighting, I catch wind of Gimli and Legolas holding a tally. If it weren't for me being pre-occupied, I would have set them straight. I have no luxury of such time however as I need to focus on the onslaught happening on the wall.

I swing around, beheading the uruk looming over me, before kicking its falling body over the wall and into others that are scaling it. Next, I whip around to defend Gimli who had his back towards an uruk that has its eyes on the dwarf. Quickly I slice it, before relieving that one of its head as well.

As I continue hacking and slashing, something catches my eye. Something is alight down there. Freeing myself from the battle, I take a moment to look at it properly. A bad feeling overcomes me when Aragorn calls out towards Legolas to shoot down the uruk-hai carrying the torch, flickering in a white light.

I bend over the wall next to the elf, taking aim. We hit it several times, but this one is not easily slain and we can only watch in anticipation as it throws itself forward and into a weak spot in the wall. Moments after, all is in disarray as rock, man and elf go flying. The explosion caused a breach in the wall.

As the dust settles, I find myself crouched with my back against the wall, breathing rather hard from the shock. "Are you all right?!" I can hear Legolas call next to me over the noise.

I nod rigidly, crawling back to my feet. "I'm fine." I reply, looking around to survey the damage. Uruks are flowing inside. I'm sure no one ever expected this to happen. Saruman's army came well prepared.

I gather my bow and make an effort to thin out the flow of uruks barging into de keep. My eyes widen in alarm when movement catches my eye and I see Aragorn down there, struggling to get to his feet. He must have been caught up in the explosion.

"Aragorn!" I call, watching the man who is about to be trampled by the enemy.

Gimli who is not far off, reacts quickly and literally jumps down the wall and right on top of them. I have little time to applaud the stout dwarf as his life is now threatened. However, Aragorn has gotten to his feet, a host of elves gathered behind him. He gives the order to fire, making them do so before they rush at the enemy that continues to flood inside head on.

Standing and still firing at the edge of the breach, I see Legolas slide past me on a shield and down the stairs, firing while he goes. "Show off." I mutter, smirking when he sends the shield flying and into an uruk in its path.

During the fray, I hear the order to fall back to the keep. Aragorn repeats the order, calling up to those still on the wall. In answer, I rush along the wall, covering those who cannot retreat otherwise. The amount of men and elves quickly thin out and seeing the continuous flow of uruks, I decide it's time to go before I find myself cornered. I jump off the wall, making a run for it.

Once I've gathered some distance, I see Aragorn rushing back up the wall, much to my surprise. Following his line of sight, I see that the marchwarden is in great trouble, having been cut down. My eyes widen is shock.