Book 2: chapter 16

"Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here." Gandalf warns us as we near the city.

The hooves of our horses clatter on the cobblestone path laid out towards the King's halls. The residents of the city cower as we pass. "You'll find more cheer in a graveyard." Gimli states, looking uncomfortable.

Reaching the Halls, we dismount, making our way up the stairs leading up to a set of tall doors. They open as we reach them, revealing a set of men. "Ah." Gandalf muses, smiling pleasantly. The gesture is not returned however as their faces are grim.

"I cannot allow you before Théoden-King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame. By order of Gríma Wormtongue." The man in charge speaks, making Gandalf's brow furrow into a slight frown before nodding to the man and signaling us to disarm.

We do so, but reluctantly. I perk an eyebrow as the man in front of me looks at me oddly as I hand him my weapons. "Do not lose them or I will find you." I threaten, glaring him down. He nods, a bead of sweat appearing on his brow.

"Your staff." the first man calls, gesturing to the white staff in Gandalf's hands.

Suddenly Gandalf bends his back and hangs his shoulders, appearing much more frail. "Mmh? Oh. You would not part an old man from his walking stick?" he asks, his voice cracking slightly.

The man looks to be hesitant, before finally nodding and stepping aside to let us through. Legolas supports Gandalf on his way to complete the act.

We step into a deep hall and pillars are on both sides, but before us its open all the way to the back. My eyes roam across the men that follow our every move from the side. They look hardly pleasant.

We reach the end and stand in front of the throne, occupied by a very old and sickly looking man. Somehow I get the feeling that it's not supposed to be this way. It is not what I imagined the King of Rohan as. My skin crawls as my eyes fall on the man crouching beside the king. If I ever have seen an untrustworthy creature, this is he.

"My lord, Gandalf the Grey is coming. He's a herald of woe." he whispers suggestively into his King's ear.

"The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late, Théoden King." Gandalf says as he approaches.

"He's not welcome." the slick man whispers.

"Why should I... welcome you, Gandalf... Stormcrow?" the King says through a weak voice before looking for affirmation to the man by his side.

"A just question, my liege." he confirms. My lip twitches upward in disgust. This snake has an unhealthy influence on the King.

The man rises, facing us now. "Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest." he hisses.

Gandalf bristles. "Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm!" Gandalf shouts angrily, shaking his staff at the man, whose eyes widen in alarm.

"His staff! I told you to take the wizard's staff!" he yells. In response, the guards who were eying us earlier rush forward, their weapons drawn.

"Hello pretty. How about a cuddle?" the one approaching me taunts.

"Disgusting." I snarl, punching his arm to make him drop his sword. I then grip the back of his head and trip him, driving his head into the stone at my feet. I quickly turn around to fend of the next fiend as this turns into an all out brawl. Meanwhile, Gandalf deals with the King.

As Gandalf expels Saruman from the King, Gimli has caught the snake. Aragorn however seems to have caught a lady who was rushing to aid the King.

"If I go. . . Théoden dies." the King speaks in Saruman's voice.

"You did not kill me, you will not kill him!" Gandalf calls, throwing the King back once more as his magic hits him.

"Rohan is mine!" Saruman hisses angrily through Théoden's teeth before Gandalf exhumes the other wizards' poison from the King.

The King falls to the floor, moaning. The lady by Aragorn frees herself, rushing up to the King and helps him settle back in his throne. We watch as the King changes before our eyes, growing younger and more vital. "I know your face. Éowyn... Éowyn." the man whispers, reaching out to her as she weeps in joy.

"Gandalf?" he questions, suddenly aware of the presence of the company.

Gandalf smiles fondly at the man. "Breathe the free air again, my friend."

The King rises to his feet, shakily. Looking down at his hands, he frowns hard. "Dark have been my dreams of late." he says.

"Your fingers would remember their old strength better... if they grasped your sword." Gandalf suggests before the man from the entrance steps forward, carrying a sword.

He takes it, slowly unsheathing it before looking at it closely as if memories return to him of battles of old. His forehead creases as he frowns, the man who stood by him catching his gaze. The King is furious.

Before long, the Grima is forcefully shoved from the Hall, sending him tumbling down the stairs. "Argh! I've only ever served you, my lord!" he weeps.

"Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!" the King snarls.

"Send me not from your side." he grovels. But the King has no mercy for him as he swings his sword at the crawling man.

"No, my lord! No, my lord. Let him go. Enough blood has been spilled on his account." Aragorn reasons, stopping the King from slaying the man before reaching out to help him up.

He does not receive gratitude though, as the Gríma spits at him. He then rushes to his feet before darting off in fear and anger, pushing through the crowd that has gathered.

"Hail, Théoden king!" the guard I finally learned to be Gama calls out, making the crowd kneel in respect for their King. We follow suit.

Turningback to his Hall, the King seems suddenly to realize that someone is missing."Where is Théodred? Where is my son?" he questions, only to meet sorrowfulexpressions. His son is no longer in this world.