Book 2: chapter 23

On our way to Isengard, we halt for the night, just outside Fangorn forest. Gandalf will rather not go through during the night with such a large company, for fear of 'accidents'. Joined us have the King and a few of his most trusted men.

I settle down at the border of the forest, a bit away from the others and I sigh in content. Finally we rest. It is much needed after the battle and the long ride here.

Turning my tired eyes to the forest I can hear the distant creaking and groaning as the trees continually communicate with each other. "What is it they say?" I ask quietly when familiar footsteps approach, coming to a halt beside me.

Taking a seat, Legolas gazes into the forest before answering. "They are excited and restless. They speak of victory and I suppose that in their own way, they are celebrating." he explains, making me cock my head in curiosity.

"How curious. It is wondrous to know they speak, but to have a celebration... I wonder what that's like as a tree."

Looking up towards Legolas, I see his blue eyes never waver as he continues to listen with a small smile on his lips. "Seeing you smile like that at words spoken by trees, makes me jealous. I wish I could understand what they have to say." I tell him, glancing back at the forest.

Legolas' smile grows as he turns to me. "What would you like for them to tell you?" he questions.

Thinking it over for a moment, I smile when I finally answer. "I would like for them to sing." I tell him before releasing a yawn. "I would ask them to sing me a lullaby." I sigh, laying down on my side and staring into the darkness ahead. "One of the setting and rising of the sun...and of the falling rain and gusting wind. Of the stars and the moon....the shaking earth and burning fires.....of love and kindness. Of adventure....and of home...." I finish with a deep sigh.

"There where the darkness ends, the light awaits, showing your path ahead." I start to sing under my breath as I close my eyes. "A path bordered by tree and flower, walked by beast and person, where friendship grows the deeper the path is carved. Beyond only happiness lies, so rest your head on my shoulder my sweet, for nearing is peace. It is only a short walk away... and I will carry you there." There I end my translation of a song of old that is tightly embedded into my memory. My mind has grown still as I drift away, awaiting the new light of day.

"Therith." A gentle voice speaks, breaking through the stillness. Cracking my eyes open, I am met with familiar grey blue eyes. These eyes are a darker shade than the ones I closed my eyes to though. "We are departing." Aragorn explains. "It's time to rise my friend."

Doing just that, I soon find myself on horseback once again as we cross the fastness of the forest of Fangorn. Finding myself behind Legolas I listen on as he whispers to me the meaning of each moan and crack around us. It's amazing. Not only the words they have to say, but Legolas' reactions to them.

He himself seems to lose is heart to this forest with each passing moment. I am certain he would enjoy staying in here for a long while if he had the opportunity to do so. I can only imagine the crestfallen look on his face when we step out again.

That moment is reached when the sun stands high in the sky. The trees break away and we are met by the outer walls of Isengard. What my eyes see there, makes a smile appear on my face. "Well, if I ever..." I start.

"Welcome my lords...and lady of course, to Isengard!" Merry calls out dramatically when we near, getting to his feet. Beside him, Pippin sits, looking quite satisfied with himself.

"You young rascals! A merry hunt you've led us on, and now we find you feasting and smoking!" Gimli calls out, put off.

"We are sitting on a field of victory, enjoying a few well-earned comforts. The salted pork is particularly good." Pippin says with smugness in his voice.