Chapter Seventeen : The Boy's Secret Friend

Logan and I were returning back from the ocean during our lunch break. It was another hot afternoon summer with sand sticking to our toes and we wriggled our feet occasionally. I glanced at Logan who was definitely feeling the heat as sweat appeared on his forehead. He was wearing a black-brown and white thin striped shirt with full sleeves. He unbuttoned the first and second buttons for more air.

"Thanks for keeping me company, Logan," I said with a small smile and he averted his eyes from the road to me. "Are you feeling thirsty? We can grab a drink."

"Uh-yeah," he replied and I sighed in relief. Honestly, I was parched and needed something cold to drink other than water. Water was too plain.

I didn't take him to Pat's because Jamal worked there and I didn't want Logan to meet him after what all happened. I didn't even take him to my favourite café by the coast because it was a tad expensive [cafés with an ocean view were never cheap] Instead, I took him to the dairy close to our flower shop where there was a small booth to sit for milkshakes and ice creams. It was quite cheap, yummy and something Logan could easily afford.

We slipped in the booth and Logan scanned through the menu. I already knew what I wanted, so I patiently waited for Logan. This place was nothing fancy, it was a dairy after all. It had a fan which slowly moved and made loud helicopter-like noises (just like the elevator in Logan's apartment). The booth was tiny but comfortable and the entire place was neat.

"JJ, how are you doing?" Uncle Desmond's wife approached and I beamed at her. "You haven't come here in a while."

I recalled my childhood days where my friends and I used to daily come here during summer for a popsicle and on weekends, for a milkshake. Our entire boisterous gang used to huddle in the small booth, all sweaty and bursting with energy even after playing outside for long hours. We would create a ruckus, but Uncle Desmond's wife would patiently serve us and sometimes even join us.

Gone were those happy days, the crowd at this booth and now it was empty. Children these days preferred to go to overpriced cafés or famous ice cream parlours. I wondered why Uncle Desmond's wife continued to run this place when they were already so well off and rich.

"Brings back old memories, doesn't it?" she said with a rueful smile, her wrinkles evident. She looked so fragile and old. "Anyway dear, what would you like?"

"My usual, chocolate-banana milkshake."

"Ah yes, I remember. Chocolate-banana milkshakes with lumps and lots of chocolate!" She said with a light laugh, mimicking the order I used to give as a child.

"Perfect!" I grinned and Logan raised his eyebrows at me.

"And what will you have dear?" she asked politely and Logan cleared his throat.

"Vanilla shake," he replied and awkwardly handed the menu to her.

"I'll leave you two alone and bring your orders." She disappeared inside the kitchen and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. The feeling of nostalgia made me feel good. It didn't sadden me of losing those care-free days, but it strengthened me. It made me feel like I had lived.

"So, did you visit the counsellor?" I blinked at Logan expectantly and he narrowed his eyes.

"Don't-Don't look at me like t-that," he stuttered and my eyebrows knotted in confusion.

"Like what?"

"Like that . . . It-It feels like you have hope for me and I-I don't want to crush your hopes," he continued stammering and I shook my head.

"You won't destroy my hopes, Logan, I'm hundred per cent sure you won't," I whispered and reached for his hand, but he quickly retracted it.

"I'm not ready for someone else's hope, so don't look at me like that." He tore his gaze away from me and gaped at the wall on the right side. I could see him swallow hard and his lips purse into a thin line. He already had many responsibilities for a seventeen-year-old and I showing my hope for him would just be another responsibility.