The Slowest Advance

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

After they had exited the bedroom, (f/n) was somewhat lost. She knew that the kitchen was to her left, and Brent had never gone down that way. Luckily, the shutter path had been completely straight. If they went straight down the current hallway, they might find themselves back in that area with the many rooms. Hopefully, the creature wouldn't still be there. There was also the problem that they were backtracking from the center of the lower level and entering that wretched kitchen.

All in all, she wanted to forget about Brent's hand wounds and continue on with her original plan. They would meet up with Nick and Tara quicker that way as well, but Nick and she hadn't explored the area around the kitchen at all. So, they might've missed something valuable.

As she considered these positives, she was already heading down the hallway. She could hear Brent behind her, but she caught the sound of something crinkling also. Curious, she glanced back to him. He was opening a granola bar. Her stomach growled quietly to where he couldn't hear. Never did she expect a plain granola bar to appear so tantalizing.

The constant gruesome images would've ruined her appetite if it weren't for the fact that she was in a constant survival situation. Not to mention that she hadn't eaten for several hours, and she needed energy to keep open her tired eyes. She hadn't even realized that she had stopped and started staring.

Brent nearly ran into her and caught her gaze in the process. He scoffed and walked past her. "Sorry, I lost my camera already today. I'm not losing my only snack. Besides ..." The male held up his hands. "It's covered in my blood. You don't want that in your mouth. If you do, then we're going to have some issues." His hands lowered back to in front of him.

She rolled her (e/c) eyes and went to walk beside him. "I have no intention of trying your blood." (F/n) did have a desire to snatch the bar out of his hands, though, but she forced herself to resist. There didn't need to be a conflict between them, and another thought crossed her mind. "I don't think that I'll be having meat for awhile either." An involuntary gag emitted from her. "My stomach couldn't take it. I just want a warm drink and a fireplace after we get out."

"Such simple things." He took another bite from his bar, but he caught any fallen crumbs and put them in his jacket pockets. "I just want a nice payment after all of this. All of us should get the full reward for having to deal with this sh*t. F*ck the rule about killing that thing. It would kill anyone before they got the chance to even leave a mark on it."

Nearly, she boasted about her previous escape from it. She kept quiet, however, not wanting her luck to turn against her. Brent's chances of surviving this were low in her opinion. With him being so obsessed with the reward, he could easily lose sight of a onetime escape. Her eyes peered to his hands again. "How did you get away from the creature with only those wounds? Nick mentioned that the creature targeted you."

He was about to answer, but he halted for a moment. "You've seen Nick?"

Not stopping, she nodded. "Yes, and Tara. I got separated from them after the creature attacked me. I haven't seen them since, but they're headed for the center to find the supply stash. That's why we need to hurry with your hands so that we have a better chance of meeting up with them."