You Totally Like Him!

Hey Guys,
Haven't got much to say today so I guess you can just move on the chapter now. So, enjoy!

Annabeth PoV

That night I lay in bed unable to sleep. No surprise there, I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep for at least another week after finding out what had really happened to Percy all those years ago.

When I had first looked into his deep sea-green eyes that day at the lunch table I had known that he had been through something bad. But I had never imagined it would be this horrible. I mean finding his step-father's dead body, watching his mother who had been his whole world murdered in front of his eyes, being kidnapped by a psycho. It was a miracle he was still sane. If I were in his place I would definitely have gone crazy.

Maybe he did, at first and had just been recovering. His cousins did say something about him finally getting better after he had run off that day. As I lay there thinking about all of this, I felt really guilty for pushing Percy to tell me the truth like I did. I wished I hadn't he had been right when he said I shouldn't pry. It was not my place. Just because we had once been friends four years back doesn't mean we still were. I had no right to demand any answers. I really regretted it.

I will give him his space from now on. I decided. I would focus on my studies and hang out with Silena and Juniper. He had his own little group now and who was I to disrupt their peace. I would stay away and if he want's to be friends well I will happily agree. But I will let him make that decision. He deserved that much and I didn't want to hurt him any more than I already had.

Though I have to say, when he'd told me he had a new best friend I had felt really jealous. I mean ever since I had known him he'd never called anyone except for me and his mom his best friend and it had felt really weird. The last four years whenever I had thought of meeting him again, I had imagined a scrawny, goofy kid. I had imagined him apologizing to me for breaking his promise and calling me Wise Girl like he had used to. I had not expected the tall, well built kid with an aura of sadness around him. And now all that I had imagined seemed like a childish dream.

I lay there blissfully remembering the good old days when we would got to the beach or make fun of the school bullies while eating ice-cream on his porch. I thought about Sally, the way she smiled and her delicious blue cookies that she would make for me and Percy whenever I came over for sleepovers and the way she would scold us when we spilled a bottle of Coke on Percy's bed. And I felt sad because I knew that I would never see her warm motherly smile again. She had been like the mother I had never had and she loved me like her own daughter.

I felt a few tears roll down my cheeks as I thought of Sally and how much I missed her. I thought of how much I missed Percy and the good old days and I cried because I knew they weren't coming back. That, however hard I hoped things would never go back to normal again. Not after what happened.

The rest of the night I lay there just thinking about how depressing that is.

The next day at school, I felt like crap. I had only gotten about an hour or so of sleep last night before the shrill ringing of my alarm clock had woken me up. I had considered staying in sick but I unfortunately had a pop-quiz today for Mrs Dodds's class so I couldn't do that. My whole day I walked around like a zombie and tried not to fall asleep.

I did notice that Percy and Luke still weren't at school today even though Thalia and Nico had finally showed up. Whereas I felt like a zombie, Nico literally looked like a dead man walking. Thalia wasn't exactly cheery either but she wasn't as sullen as Nico.

As I headed to lunch I bumped into Thalia.

"Hey Annabeth." She said uneasily.

"Um Hey." I said feeling equally awkward.