The Accident

A week later...
I wake up and I feel like one free bird. I finish all my daily chores and pick up my phone to text Sandy. I send a " Hi" to her on Whatsapp and wait for her reply. A few minutes later my phone vibrates and I quickly read her text. I read what the text and my phone drops from my hand.

" Hey, Kaitlyn, it's Sandy's mom here. She is admitted in the hospital. She was in an accident last night. Gotta go. "

I can't bear anything to happen to Sandy. And I certainly couldn't sit here simply without making sure she's fine. I decided I'm going to meet her, somehow. She was actually in her hometown, which is 150 km from here since Sunday, so I figured she must still be there.

I explained this to my parents and they permitted me to go. I was just about to leave when Caspian called. I told him about my plans for today and he insisted on coming with me just to make sure I was safe. I said no but I had to give in.

We decided we'd drive till there. He came to pick me up at my house and I got in the front seat of his car. We were silent for a few minutes and then I suddenly burst into tears. Caspian didn't say things like " Stop crying " or    " You're not a kid anymore." He let me vent out all my feelings and then he comforted me. Something about him reminds me of my sister. Probably it's the way he patiently listens to me or the warmth he offers me. Or maybe it's his radiating blue eyes. He parked the car at the side of the road and let me cry into his chest.

After I calmed down, he played some cheerful music and began trying to get me be joyous. Well it did work and I cheered up a bit. But I could never be completely happy until I've seen Sandy.

After about 2 and half to 3 hours of travelling, we reached the hospital. My heart began racing as I rushed to the room Sandy was in. I just burst through the door and I saw Sandy lying on the bed with her head bandaged and her left arm in a cast. She was talking to her mom and both of them were taken by surprise when I entered. I hugged her tight. " I was so worried about you " I said with tears streaming down my cheeks. " Well, we can see that " Sandy laughed. Something about her seemed different, like a bad kind of change. I shook off the feeling. It was probably just the pain making her do that. I spent many hours speaking to Sandy and her mom. When I was done, I said goodbye and turned to leave. Caspian smiled a happy smile. We got into his car and after some time, it began to snow. We  decided it would be better if we rest in a hotel for the night. We found a place with difficulty as most of the hotels had no rooms left.

We went inside the room and found just one bed. I wasn't really comfortable with the thought of both of us sleeping together on that small bed. So we concluded that one person would sleep on the bed and the other would sleep on the couch . I said I would sleep on the floor. I can't let Caspian suffer on a random couch . But he was equally adamant. There was something about him that makes him win every little argument. In the end, I ended up sleeping on the bed with him on top of some blankets on the couch .

Love isn't just about passion, it's also about sacrifice and comfort. It's about sharing the most important things with the most important person.