18. TaekWoon

Our group's trip to Japan loomed heavily over me, the Hana Kaze release coming up more quickly than I had expected. It seemed like there weren't enough hours in the day anymore now that performances and practices took up my daylight hours and my role in the Mata Hari musical took up my nights.

Splitting my time between Imani, JaeHyun, and my activities with Vixx as well, it was a lucky day if I had an hour to call Imani and Jae to see how they were. It seemed like the family we had started to create together had faded away the busier I'd become. In my absence, Jae had started school like he'd wanted and as he'd proudly told me, had gained a gold star on all his homework assignments.

Imani was just as busy as I was if not more, the construction of her new building set to take place next week. Her contractor needed 'hand-holding' she'd confided in me, which was adding to her already heavy load. Talking about these things with her made me long to be with them, experiencing life together.

So, when a free day finally came up, I knew with certainty that I wouldn't be spending it at the dorm with my members. I headed for Imani's apartment feeling lighter than I had in days, the stresses of work falling away as I thought of all the things that we could do together, and the time that I'd missed while I was away.

The apartment is quiet when I walk inside and I remember belatedly that it's a Saturday, a rare day for Imani to get some extra sleep. And true to her schedule as always, when I peek into her bedroom she's nestled under the covers, her head barely visible amongst all the bedding.

I resist the urge to wake her up just for my own personal pleasure and continue down the opposite hallway to Jae's room. The little boy is already up and changing into his clothes when I walk in. Greeting him with a smile, he leaves the socks he was trying to put on and runs up to me for a hug. The smile on his face settles something in my heart, and I'm unreasonably happy that he's so glad to see me.

"Hyung, Eomma's still sleeping, so I got ready on my own today!" he tells me excitedly.

"You did? Good job, I know your mom's feeling tired lately huh?"

"Yeah, but she still made my favorite fish last night when I asked. Eomma's really great."

Jae is still struggling with his socks and I sit down on the floor to help him put them on. Thinking about how tired Imani must be, I decide to change my plans from a family day to a boy's day out.

"JaeHyun, would you like to come with Hyung today and get a haircut? Your hair's getting kind of long," I say while playfully rumpling the locks and messing up his careful combing.

"Hyung can I get color like yours?" Jae looks hopeful but I think of coming home to Imani with a blonde preschooler and a shudder goes through me.

"No way, your Eomma would destroy me. Plus, when you start school you can't have dyed hair."

The little boy's lips pouted out cutely in dissatisfaction and I almost wanted to let him have his way. But I couldn't do that; I was a father now after all and kids had to have boundaries and be told no. At least that's what my own parents had always said.

"Don't worry JaeHyunnie, hyung will make sure your hair looks really cool. Kaja!"

Jae and I walked into the living room and though I had been positive Imani would still be in bed, she sat waiting on the couch as if she had always been there. Her usually loose curls were piled up into a ponytail, the tight spirals shooting in all directions as it brushed against her shoulders. I gave her my widest smile, my joy at seeing her something that I can't hide, can't control. After being away for so long, I want to run up and hug her in my arms. Unfortunately, JaeHyun beats me to the punch. Slightly put out, I tell Imani of our plans.