Chapter 4 - Reputation

The day just went on as usual. As I was walking out of the dorm, going to my workplace, I saw some of my classmates whispering about something as they took glances at me.

"Is there something on my face?"

"L/n-san," one of them called out to me. "You're pretty close with Tendou-kun, right?"

"Yeah. Why did you ask?"

"Aren't you afraid of him?" another one asked.

"Why would I be afraid of Satori?" I questioned back.

They looked at me as if I needed to know something about the redhead.

"You see... Tendou-kun... He has quite a reputation, you know..."

"Yeah. He's Shiratorizawa's middle blocker, known as the Guess Monster," I responded.

"Do you know why he had such a title? He's not known just for his guessing abilities. He is also known for his monster-like personality..."

"Eh?" My eyes widened as I couldn't believe what I just heard.

"He's creepy and scary. If I were you, I should be a----------"

"Thanks for your concern but I'll be fine," I cutted her off as I kept it short and simple, gave them my best fake smile, and continued walking.

I couldn't believe that they were actually judging a book by its cover. I mean, Satori might be intimidating and annoying at times, but he's a really good person. He's nice, kind, cool and fun to be with. Being with him makes me feel so lively.

"People tend to have different opinions, afterall..." I just thought to myself.

Hours later, Satori was planning on giving me a surprise visit. He saw me sitting on a table inside my workplace. He was about to enter but he saw a black undercut haired guy sat on the same table as me.

"Oh? This is interesting," he thought as he was bemused.

He wanted to know about that guy whom he can't see his face as his back was facing the middle blocker. It was just out of curiosity, but when the redhead saw me having fun conversing with that guy, his interest just dropped. He didn't liked it.

"Keep on breaking them..."

He couldn't stand it.

"What, you say?"

He was pricked by jealousy.

"Their hearts..."

Ironically, the song intended for his opponents just suddenly became meant for him.

As he was about to take his leave, I suddenly noticed the oh so familiar redhead.

"Satori!" I called him.

He was stopped on his tracks as he saw me gesturing him to come inside. Having second thoughts about it, he ended up doing what I wanted.

"Tendou," the black undercut haired guy suddenly called.

Finally able to see the guy's face, the middle blocker knew his identity at last. "B/n," he didn't expect to see him once again.

"It's been a while, hasn't it?"

"Yeah. Elementary."

"Back then, you had a bowl cut."

"Really?" I suddenly imagined Satori as a kid fitting that description. "You must have been really cute back then, Satori."

A tiny blush was formed on the redhead's face.

"Anyway, b/n-san accidentally spilled his drink on me so he insisted on treating me a meal," I told him as I let him see the stain on my shirt. "I ended up learning that you two were friends."

"Friends? Nah, I wouldn't call it that," the middle blocker thought.

"So, Tendou... Must be so fortunate to have l/n as a girlfriend, right?" b/n asked as I was once again mistaken as Satori's girlfriend.

"I'm not----------"

"Her eyes were sparkling as she was talking about how cool you are and how fun you are to be with. She was so lively when she was talking about you," he revealed.

"Oh my God, was I really that lively?!" I internally screamed as I my face was covered with a shade of pink.

"Really?!" the redhead reacted. "Wow, f/n-chan! I never thought you'd be so high-spirited to talk about me," he told me as his amusement was shown in how wide his grin was.

"I wasn't really----------"

B/n slightly laughed. "I'm really surprised that you're not afraid of him, l/n."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Tendou was once feared by everyone. Like an outcast, no one really goes near him as we thought that he was weird and creepy... like a monster..." I noticed how much he emphasized his last word and he was smirking.

"This guy..."

"Yeah, I remember that," I suddenly heard Satori said. "There was this certain person who once told me that I couldn't join the human team, and this monster ended up blocking the ball, knocking it down as I looked down at that person's face with satisfaction," he was smirking back.

It was obvious that the certain person that Satori was referring to was b/n.

"Oh. Must be tough for that poor little guy," b/n responded, acting like he knew nothing about it.

"Nah, I wasn't feeling sorry about that. It just felt so good."

They just went on and on. I don't need someone to point out what was happening. These two were getting under their skins.

After a while, I cleared my throat and I got both of their attention. "Satori, we should probably get going. It's getting late and we still need to buy something," I told him.

The redhead's mouth formed an "O" shape. "I forgot!" he exclaimed.

B/n just chuckled. "Well then, I'll also get going. It was nice meeting you, l/n. Talk to you some other time, Tendou."

We just gave him a nod. Now walking alone with Satori, I can't help but noticed that he walking close to me. At last, we have arrived at our destination: the convenience store.

"Finally!!!" we were both enthusiastic as we each grabbed a copy of the latest edition of Shounen Jump.

"If you hadn't told me that we needed to buy something, I wouldn't be able to remember, f/n-chan!" he told me.

"Hehe... No need to thank me, Satori. That's what a jump buddy is for, right?"

He happily nodded.

The two of us spent the night standing in the convenience store, reading Jump. Inside, there were nobody else besides us and the storekeeper.

Satori and I talked about how cool a particular series was and shared some theories on what we think might happened as the story goes on. We also ended up arguing about who will get the greatest powerup and who the coolest character was. We were spitballing childish insults here and there, but it was all natural.

We were pretty loud but the storekeeper didn't mind. He just told us that it's nice to have the place a little bit rowdy every once in a while.

I looked at Satori and saw how he's having fun with me. To be honest, I was feeling the same, too. I enjoy his company very much. Not only that...

"I like seeing him so happy..."

"Tendou was once feared by everyone. Like an outcast, no one really goes near him as we thought that he was weird and creepy... like a monster..." I suddenly remembered what b/n said, along with some of our classmates' point of view which I just recently discovered.

"Like an outcast, huh?" I thought to myself as I imagined how sad it might have been for him.

I looked at the redhead beside me and he smiled at me.

"Satori... Are you perhaps... feeling lonely behind that cheerful side of yours?"