Chapter 5

Kai's POV

     I look around to see who the man is talking to, but no one else, except for us, was in the cavern. I look at Max questioningly. He just winks and walks us deeper into the room. "Yes, Jimmy, the 'fish' has changed. He's not so much a fish anymore," My mouth falls agape at the realization. The cook is Jimmy. I offer an awkward smile.

     "I'm Kai."

     "Jimmy." He smiles and points to himself. I blush a little bit, not knowing how to react.

     "So, what's to eat?" Maximus asks, smiling at me. I see a seat next to me, and sit down, sighing as I let my weak tired legs rest.

     "Jimmy made some beans and rice," He says, smiling proudly. Jimmy hands us two bowls and spoons. I know what they both are, but I've never used a spoon. I wait and see how Max uses his. I wait for a couple of seconds, and he hasn't eaten. Max just keeps side glancing at me. Jimmy's looking back and forth at us with a dumb smile on his face.

     "I swear to Poseidon, if you don't start eating, I'll shove that spoon up your ass." I growl.

     "What's your obsession with threatening to shove things up my ass?"

     "Just eat!" Max and Jimmy's laughter resonate through the room and I just glare at their shit-eating faces. Once the laughter turns to chuckles and then silence again, Max grabs the spoon and scoops the beans and rice, then brings it to his mouth. I take a second to admire his surprisingly soft lips.

     In midchew, Max opens his mouth, giving me a perfect few of the food in his mouth. I reach over and thump his throat, making him gag and almost spit out his food. I bite my lip to keep from laughing. I feel his glare my way, but now that I know how to use a spoon, I start to eat. I grasp the metal utensil and scoop the food onto the dished out area, as Max did. I bring it to do my mouth and eat it happily. Jimmy cooks really good, despite his obvious insanity.

     When Maximus and I are both done, Jimmy giddily takes out dishes and start washing. With a content sigh, Max stands up and grabs my hip, me grabbing onto his shoulder, we both walk back to the Captain's Quarters.

     When we're inside, Max tosses me to the bed. I gasp as my back hits the soft cushion. Then, he climbs on top of me, showering me with little kisses on my jaw and cheeks.

     "M-max..." I get out, my voice is airy and light.

     "If you want me to stop, just say so," Max whispers huskily, his warm breath tickling my ear. I nod my head and reach up to his cheeks to bring him closer. I wonder if kissing is as intimate for humans as it is for merpeople? I start to doubt myself when our noses touch. Maximus stays still, letting me think and make decisions. I wait a few seconds, looking into his eyes. Mas smirks and brings our lips together. His beautiful blue eyes close and then hemoves his lips against mine. I've never actually kissed anyone, so I do whatever Max is doing, letting my own eyes close.

     The kiss is blissful. I don't want to pull away, but my lungs scream for air. I pull away first, resting our foreheads together. Maximus is breathing hard too, as he spreads lazy, yet, sweet kisses all over my face.

     I find myself smiling. Merpeople mate for life. Would Max want me for forever? It's only been two days, but how long would it be until he sells me? Is he still wanting to sell me?

     Max brushing his thumb over my cheek brings me out of my thoughts.

     "I think I'm starting to fall for you, Kai."

End of Chapter