Chapter 9

Kai's POV

     There were 5 of our men that have fallen overboard. That makes 25 lashes. I hear the pain in Max's voice. He clearly doesn't want me to be punished. I understand that he needs to be a strong captain to not be overthrown though. I'd rather get lashes than risking Max's safety.

     "Although this is a punishment, it isn't supposed to kill him. Kai already has a wound on his side. Allow me to patch it up, and at dawn, I can punish him." Max continues.

     Henry looks back at the rest of the crew, almost as if he can read their minds.

     "We'll let you patch up the boy, but I'll punish him," I watch Max's jaw tick, his fists clenching at his sides. He looks down at me, and I nod my head, telling him that's okay.

     "Deal," He walks to me and picks me up as if I weighed 5 pounds and walks away to the new captains quarters.

     When Max opens the door I awe at the beauty. Gorgeous dark wood floors, a lighter wood as the walls and ceiling. A nice comfy bed with fresh sheets, a desk, and a gold crested chest.

     "You picked the right ship to mess up," Max tells me, chucking. I smile and look down at my lap. I'm tightly clutching onto the hilt of the knife. I hold it up to him, giving it back. "I thought I lost this! I thought that damned pirate did something to it and I couldn't look for it fast enough." Max's eyes widen at the realization, "You did that to the captain, didn't you?" I nod. "That's badass."

     "I know."

     "Is that how you got that cut?" I nod my head again. I just hear him sigh. "Well, I'm glad you knew where the knife was then." Max takes the knife with a safe hand and walks to the new bed, putting the knife under one of the pillows. When he's done, he sets me down carefully on my uninjured side.

     "It shouldn't need stitches, but it should be cleaned." Max walks over and grabs a bottle of some alcohol. "This is going to hurt like a bitch."

     "If I can't handle this, I won't be able to handle tomorrow," I say it with a smile, but Max seems saddened by it.

     "Don't joke about that. You'll be bleeding, need stitches, and they could possibly get infected." I roll my eyes and stick my tongue out.

     "Don't be a baby. I can handle it." I grasp the front of his shirt and pull him down for a quick kiss, "Now, patch me up please." Blushing, Max glares down at me, making me smirk.

     After grabbing a rag, Maximus pours some of the whiskey on the white fabric, taking a swig for himself. "This is going to sting." Was the only warning I got before Max pressed it against my side.  I hiss in pain, trying not to yell out. That would be rather catastrophic. I close my eyes and grasp his arm tightly. When Max is done cleaning it, he softly kisses my shoulder, whispering sweet praises.  "Now, I need you to sit up so I can bandage you." I nod and slowly sit up, gasping as some of the leftover whiskey drips in.

     "The bandages will also serve as a little extra layer of skin tomorrow."

     "Good to know," I murmur. Grabbing the bandages, Max wraps my torso firmly. "Thanks." I smile and sit on the edge of the bed. Max stands on the front of me, wrapping his arms around my shoulders, and I wrap my own around his middle.

     "I'm sorry Kai. I didn't know what they would do to us if I denied."

     "It's my fault, I shouldn't have done that. I should have just stayed in the room and hid as you told me. If I had done that, then your crew would still respect you." I ramble on, feeling guilty.

     "Don't you dare say that's your fault. You saved us, Kai. They were in the heat of battle and are still on edge, they must have assumed the worse. You saved everyone that wasn't already dead."

     "Just shut up and cuddle with me."

End of Chapter