Chapter 7

Kai's POV

     It's been two days since Maximus and I had our first kiss, and since then he would not stop touching me! Whenever we went to Jimmy for food, he'd pull me close, shoulder to shoulder. Whenever we walked, he had his arm around me. Whenever we slept, he'd cuddle with me. I don't mind that part, but I think some of his crew members are starting to catch on. The thought of them knowing makes me blush.

     I can now walk by myself, but sometimes I get tired or sore from my still-healing wounds. Maximus is usually close, so he gives me a little help.

     "Captain!" I cringe at the shrill voice on the other side of the metal door. Max groaned and detached his soft lips from my shoulder. I almost miss his sweet kisses. They're just lazy and sweet, no lust, almost like love.

     "What is it, Dan?!" I smile, impressed he took the time to bond with his crew to know them by their  voices.

     "Pirates Captain! It seems like a big ship!" Big ships mean big crews.

     "Shit. Do you think we can sneak away?"

     "No Sir, they're advancing towards us as we speak." I start to get up, but I'm pulled back by Max's strong arms.

     "Don't. I want you to stay here."

      "Like fucking hell I am," His grip on me tightens, almost hurting.

      "I don't want to lose you too, Kai. Just please, listen to me," I hear the pain in his voice and I reach up to kiss his jaw.

     "I can't make any promises. If you're in trouble, I'll be damned if I'm not helping your ass." I say, making my tone sound final. Max sighs.

     "Fine, just stay hidden." Maximus gets up and puts on his coat and boots. "Wish me luck." He kisses my forehead and leaves without a word. I can't help but to feel worried. Max and I have formed such a good bond, it'd be a shame if he died on me. I can help. I know I can. I have my strength back, I can scream and change the tides easily. My father was a powerful siren, so I inherited his abilities, while I got my mother's species, her being a mermaid.

     I walk to the door, with my tired, shaky legs. I see the ship ahead, maybe half a mile? My hands grow clammy imagining the fight that will go on. I've been underwater while two ships were fighting, and it was tragic.
     The ship approaches fast. It's upon us in minutes. The other ship throws a hook to make the two vessels collide. When they do, everything jolts, sending me to the ground. I glare in the directions of the other ship and curse at it in my mother tongue.

     I get back up just in time to see a long wooden plank be placed between the two so they could get across. The pirates on the other side pour upon our decks. I watch in horror as the men on both sides give a battle cry and fight each other with everything they have. I see men on both sides die, but the offending ship has more people. I come up with an amazing idea.

     I fall back when the door is slammed open.

     "Oh, what a beautiful birdie." I look to see an ugly man wearing a purple coat, much like Max's red one. He must be the captain.

     "Fuck off gummy." I spat, looking at his mouth, turning my nose up at the sight of the missing teeth.

     "You bitch." He grits out. Gummy then pulls out his sword, aiming it at me. I quickly get up, I reach behind me and grab the knife under Max's pillow. I sigh in relief that he didn't move it. It almost makes me feel safer to have his knife with me.

     Gummy lashes out at me. I've never wielded a blade. I never needed to, and I'm not nimble on my still green feet. I move too slow, his sword grazing along my bare side, I hiss in pain. I look down to see him favoring his right foot over his left and I notice some blood. Must have gotten injured before he got to me. Gummy goes for my head, I duck down last second and kick his left leg. I smirk when he screams in pain, dropping his sword. I grab the sword and his arms. Putting his arms above his head, I force him to the ground and stab the sword down. The sword is stabbed in his two arms, making him unable to use them, as well as not being able to get him hands free. I didn't know what Maximus would want to do with him.

     I clutch Max's knife to my chest, not trusting it with the two parties on board. Using my clumsy legs, I sneak past the fighting and jump off the board, smiling when I dive into the blue ocean. When I'm in, I look at my beautiful teal and gold tail. I smirk up at the ship.

     Time to execute my plan.

End of Chapter