Chapter 21

Maximus' POV

     I had ran after Kai, but he just used his small frame and pushed past the crowd. He slipped away. Why was he so adamant about me saying I love him?

     Do I love him? When I bedded down with anyone and they asked if I loved them, of course, I said yes, but I was lying. Half the time, I didn't even remember their name.

     I keep pushing past the crowd until it clears up a bit. I see Jimmy rushing around like a chicken with its head cut off.

     "Jimmy! What's the matter? Have you seen Kai?" I ask him. I notice his cheek is a bit swollen.

     "Jimmy tried to save Kai! Jimmy promises, Captain! They took Kai! Jimmy couldn't stop him..." Jimmy says quickly, his eyes teary. Kai is in trouble...

     "Jimmy, I know you did what you could, I'm not mad. Please go on the ship and treat yourself. I'll go find Kai. Do you know where they went?" I ask.

     "Black Market," He tells me, a bit out of breath.

     My heart drops and I curse. The Black Market is underground, making the name have a double meaning. It's very dark and dreary in there. Of course, that's what I've heard.

     "Thank you, Jimmy," I say before letting him go and going on my way to the Black Market.

     In all honesty, I don't really remember where the Black Market is at. Typically when I sell stuff, the merchants come to me, not me to them. I know it's in the nicer part of town.

     I start to notice a few people with darker clothing walk to a specific building and go to a cellar door. Found it. They make sure no guards see them come in, and I do the same.

     I guess it's sort of an unwritten law with the civilians, that if you see someone go into the Black Market, you don't tell any guards. From what I can tell, they somehow don't know. Or they do, and they see no point in stopping it.

     When I go into the underground dirt tunnels, it's like a flea market. A little bit of everything that is illegal. Some of it isn't, but most are. I curiously look around until I notice a poster on a wooden support beam.

     "Mermaid! See seller for a low price!!” It says. It has a picture of what is obviously a human lady with a mermaid tail on. I sigh. I guess I should look there. I really hope he's not hurt... I really care about Kai.

     Maybe I do love him... Or maybe I dont...  My heartstrings pull when he's not around. When he was angry at me earlier, my chest tightened up. I've never felt this way towards another person.

     I walk down the long pathway, many sellers trying to get me to buy their products. Im not interested though.

     My pace quickens when I hear the muffled sound of sloshing water. I turn the corner and see Kai in a big, closed in a tank full of water. He's still in human form. Why hasn't he changed? His face is as high above the water as he can get it, only his nose peaking out. The seller seems to be very angry.

     Wait... That's Tidious.

     "No! Don't leave! He's a merman I promise! I've seen him with a tail! It's real! Common!" He yells, hitting the glass. Tidious' eyes land on me, and he backs up and runs away. Like a coward. I trusted him. It's hard to run away from me though. My chest burns with anger and I just push past the already dissipating crowd and get to the tank.

     It's very large and is locked with a padlock. Luckily, it's glass. I start to understand. Kai can only change into mermaid form in his mother water. Like the ocean. That dumbass must have put well water in there. I can see Kai starting to panic, he must be running out of air.

     I make quick work to break the glass. I used the steel part of my boot and shatter the glass. Water goes everywhere and what's left of the crowd quickly moves away. Kai spills out with the water and I quickly scoop him up in my arms. He's so cold...

     I snuggle him close to me and kiss his cheek. Poor thing is so tired... I ignore the stares as I walk out of the tunnels and make my way above ground, onto the boat, and into the captains quarters. By this time, Kai is fast asleep.

     I take off both of our clothes and replace them with clean ones. I only wear some pants and I give Kai a shirt. It makes him look a bit feminine and just so alluring. I set him down on the bed and cuddle up next to him, holding Kai like a child. I kiss his hair.

     "I do love you, Kai."

Phew! Idk why it took me so long to get this chapter. I guess I've had a bit of writer's block, not to mention the stress from just starting the school year. Hopefully, I'll be able to get somewhat of a schedule for you guys! Im sorry if this chapter isn't the best quality. I may do a few little revisions in the future, but nothing too drastic.