Heartstop

Santana had never heard of a vampire with a pulse. What could have possibly happened to make her heart start beating again?

"Wow!" Brittany whispered. Her eyes were wide but joyous as she stared at Santana for a few seconds before laughing, an amazed, disbelieving laugh that made Santana's heart beat stronger. "Did Shelby say anything about her heart beating?"

"No!" Santana gasped. "She said some of her organs started working, but I think she would have mentioned a pulse! I would have been able to hear it!"

"Wow..." Brittany echoed. She was staring at Santana in amazement, mouth open, held up by a smile. "Maybe you're just one-of-a-kind! Actually, I know you are. But maybe your immortality is too!"

Santana felt the edge wear off her panic as Brittany continued grinning at her. She looked down at her body, holding her naked limbs out as though they were foreign and gangly. She didn't know what to make of her sudden liveliness. It was alarming. And yet, as blood coursed through her, she felt warm, which soothed her. It was like being steeped in Brittany to the point of feeling all her muscles let go, floating. Her whole being felt like it was floating towards something light and good and strong.

But at the same time, it felt uncomfortable. Everything inside her rib cage felt like it was frantically adjusting to the rhythm that had just declared itself.

"I don't know what this means!" Santana gasped. "What if it means something horrible?"

"What could be horrible about a heartbeat?" Brittany said. "You're sexy with a pulse."

For a few seconds, Brittany's playfulness and flirtation felt inappropriate, as though she were trying to entice a patient before they went into surgery. But as Santana looked at Brittany, glowing against the crimson satin that lined her coffin, she felt herself warm between her legs again. It was the bond, of course. And yet, the way she felt it was so authentic, so real and alive and humming, it didn't feel like a reaction to Brittany's arousal. It felt organic, as though her body had initiated the urge to mate.

She knew that was what Brittany wanted. Brittany's eyes scoured the curves of Santana's body as she licked her lips, still grinning as a certain hunger took over.

"C'mere," Brittany beckoned, tilting her chin playfully. "Let's see if we can get that heart racing."

Santana was nervous, but intrigued. How would it feel to have two hearts beating while they made love? Would they synchronize, or would two separate tempos emerge, syncopating and accenting each other as they passed each other, swelling as a lick or a suck or a thrust excited them in surges? Would it throw off her rhythm? She found herself so tentative about it, she almost shook her head.

But Brittany was staring her down with a sultry gaze that dared her to refuse. Santana had never refused Brittany, and she didn't want to start now. But all the same, she had to wonder if Brittany was experiencing a transformation herself. Would she start to grow stronger from all the vampire blood she was ingesting? Cry blood?

The thought fluttered away as Brittany drew Santana back towards the bed, pulling her down on top of her. Brittany's body didn't have the same jolting heat it usually did, though it was still exciting and soft.

Brittany hummed into Santana's neck. "You're warmer. I like it."

Santana took a breath to steady herself as she nuzzled into Brittany's neck. She searched herself and found she still had the same control she'd had earlier. She wasn't worried she'd hurt Brittany.

Brittany was already sighing beneath her, rocking up as her hands canvassed Santana's back. "You're so fucking hot," she mumbled. "I don't ever want to get out of this coffin."