Cocoa Lux

Without asking if Santana wanted to drive, Brittany got in her car, double-clicking the locks first so Santana could get in the passenger seat. Santana was glad to not be driving; she wanted to focus on staying calm, as to not infect Brittany with her anxiety. But she obviously hadn't learned how yet, because after a minute, Brittany reached over and put her hand on Santana's knee.

"It's okay, baby," Brittany cooed. "We'll just go in there, I'll kick her out, and then we'll go back to your house and have sex."

Santana gripped Brittany's hand, focusing on slowing her heart and lungs and the quivering that sat in the pit of her stomach, wriggling through her arms and legs. Brittany glanced at her with concern, gripping the steering wheel harder. "Baby, are you okay?"

Santana swallowed and nodded, desperately trying to think of something happy and lovely so she could calm down. But as she wracked through her mind, all she felt was an acceleration of her fear. She started trembling and Brittany grew more concerned.

"Sweetie..." Brittany cooed, eyebrows knitting. "I've never felt you this worked up."

Santana swallowed and unsuccessfully tried to smooth out her voice. "I'm just worried something bad will happen."

Brittany took a deep breath and bit her bottom lip, nodding. Santana was relieved that she was acknowledging the danger they were heading into for once, but she didn't think Brittany would ever understand the magnitude. As a mortal, she couldn't.

Brittany tried for the remainder of the car ride to help lighten Santana's anxiety, but it wasn't as effective as it had been before.

They arrived at the Pierce house and trudged through the garage. When they reached the door leading down to the basement, Santana clung to Brittany's hand harder and held her there for a moment. She stared deep into Brittany's eyes, hoping this wouldn't be the last time she looked into them.

"When you open the door, give the command right away. Don't wait for eye contact or anything. Just say it and then move out of the way so she doesn't smack into you on her way out."

Brittany nodded, taking a deep breath, and looking, for the first time, like she was actually nervous.

As Brittany reached for the handle, Santana thought of something. "Wait!"

Brittany seemed to startle, turning back to Santana.

"Make sure you don't kick me out at the same time."

Brittany nodded and gripped the doorknob. Taking a breath, she twisted it, flung it open, and shouted down the stairs, "Whoever you are down there, I rescind your invitation to be in this house!"

Santana's every muscle was tense in anticipation of the burst that would fly past them on its way out the door. But nothing came. They waited in silence for ten seconds before Santana shifted a bit.

Brittany turned back to her with a frown. "Did you hear anything?"

Santana shook her head, tilting her chin up to peer down the stairs. In the dark, she saw nothing but the gardening bench near the stairs, its stacks of terra cotta pots and a bucket of gardening supplies on the floor. She sniffed the air and found the lingering scent of the vampire from the night before. But it wasn't as strong, and the air below wasn't stirring.

"She's not there," Santana said. She was partly relieved that they were in no imminent danger, but now she was perplexed. How was she going to keep Brittany safe if there was a strange vampire roaming about that could enter the Pierce house whenever she pleased?

Brittany's mouth scrunched to the side in a frustrated expression. "Now what?" she asked. "Do we wait until daybreak and see if she comes back?"

Santana shook her head. There was no way she was going to spend the rest of the night in the creepy Pierce house, purchased with the blood of innocent vampires. "We go home."