Humanity

Santana rose to consciousness slowly, disoriented, unsure where she was. All she knew was that every muscle in her body felt dry, as though she had been drained of her blood like Brittany had. It felt like dying all over again. Before she opened her eyes, she concentrated on her heart, waiting to see if it was still beating. She didn't know if it would beat after Brittany died. There was so much unknown about vampires, even with the best medical and scientific minds trying to figure it out. The only explanation for their existence seemed to be magic. And now with her new condition, she was even more mystified by her existence.

Her heart gave a weak thud, slow and painful. With her eyes still closed, she tried to sense Brittany, tried to feel her pain or sleep or agony. But she couldn't feel anything. Then she felt a hand on her head, gently stroking her hair back. It wasn't Brittany's hand though. She could tell that. She could feel something move beneath her head

She opened her eyes and was shocked to see Quinn's green eyes looking down at her with more tenderness than she had ever seen as she cradled Santana's head in her lap. They were somewhere inside the palace, though Santana didn't know where.

Santana tried to speak, but found she couldn't because her throat was so dry.

"It's okay, sweetie," Quinn hummed. "You're okay."

Santana couldn't relax until she had news about Brittany. "Britt..." she croaked.

Quinn stroked Santana's hair quietly. "She's still in the ground. She'll wake up in a few hours."

Santana swallowed, unsettled, but bracing herself to be patient. She wanted to be able to bask in Quinn's mysterious gentleness, but she couldn't until she knew Brittany was safe. She rallied her strength and took a deep breath, hoping it would help her wake up. "Did it go well?"

"It was perfect," Quinn cooed. "She went out beautifully."

Santana's heart squeezed, the image of Brittany dying too painful to forget.

"The only thing that didn't go as planned was you passing out. I got here right afterward."

Santana whimpered, closing her eyes again with exhaustion. "It's because of the bond..." she said.

Quinn hummed again, still stroking Santana's hair. Santana hated to admit that she loved it, and given the circumstances, it was the most soothing thing she could imagine besides holding Brittany.

"You two have a very special bond," Quinn commented, her voice still low and sweet like a lullaby.

Santana gave a faint nod, closing her eyes again. She had never felt this tired in her life.

"She brought you back to life."

Santana swallowed, wondering if Quinn knew how true that was.

"Does it feel weird?" Quinn asked.

Santana stalled, not sure what Quinn meant.

"Having a pulse after so long?" Quinn clarified.

Santana felt a chill, but Quinn's gentle hands in her hair and on her shoulder soothed her. Quinn wasn't threatening to expose her as the strange hybrid she'd become.

"At first," Santana admitted. "But after a while it feels good. It reminds me that time is precious."

Quinn nodded and continued studying Santana as she stroked the course strands of her hair out. Santana realized Quinn might have some answers to the questions she had about her strange condition.

"Have you ever heard of that happening before?" Santana asked. She wasn't sure if Quinn was aware that Shelby was still alive, and even if she did know, of Shelby's hybridism.