end

she heard the familiar buzzing of her phone.

her breath hitched when she retrieved the device she has dearly missed, the green light on it flashing so persistently notifying her of the new notifications. her mind was telling her all the worst case scenarios since she hasn't set a password yet.

her eyes were squeezed shut when she finally turned on her phone. 

peeking at the lock screen, she expected a wallpaper of drugs, weird people or maybe dismembered limbs but it wasn't changed at all. she then went to her phone to check on all its contents to make sure.

everything turns out to look how she left it, except that she had over sixty unchecked voicemails.

she went to her phone app and listened to the oldest one, left only a day after she lost her phone. she swallowed the lump in her throat and pressed the screen.

t o o t

"hi honey, it's rocky."

"i know i haven't seen you in a bit..."

"but i hope you're doing well?"

b o o p

her mind spun. that familiar voice was the one she missed all this time, the one she wished she could have called if she wasn't so impulsive with her words that one time. her conscience feared that she might have hurt his feelings for saying what she did, so she tried to avoid the situation—and him whenever possible.

she pressed the button again to listen to his voice.

t o o t

b o o p

without a second to spare, she sat down on the seat in her living room and went through all the short little messages he left her.

all sixty-three of them.

there were ones who he was just talked to her about his day, others where he would ask her silly questions as if she could actually answer, then there was the last one.

she was all too afraid to listen to the last one since it must have a reason for being the last one.

her trembling finger tapped the screen and it began to play. nothing at first, but soon his voice came on again.

through the entirety of it, she did not breathe.

after it ended with the usual b o o p, she listened to it again.

then again.

she must have forgotten how many times already because she was only focusing on his voice, and the way he spoke to her. and her alone.

it was either like the feeling of getting a hug from the sun or getting a hug from the sun.

she glanced quickly at the clock and calculated the time it would take her to bike all the way to his home on this fine saturday evening and make it to her final exam on time with some to spare. she was going to have to pedal with all her might to make it.

she had already pressed the replay button again but left her phone on the seat to get ready.

t o o t

"hi honey, it's rocky. again."

"i feel bad you—i mean, i feel bad for your phone because it has to put up with these messages."

"so i think i should stop these. at l-least for a while."

"what am i saying... you may never hear these anyway."

"you may not want to know this, especially now, b-but i thought it might be time."

"give me a minute, i need to find my script."

"dear honey, you're a great person and i know we have known each other for a while so you probably won't ever feel the same way but—oh, screw it."

"i love you, honey."

b o o p

and with a jingle and click of her keys, she was gone.

an

frosted is my baby and always will be, thank u for everything u have given me :')