Chapter IX

Yuri lays down on her bed, looking at the ceiling. She's been here since she got home, and has a lot to think about. Hideki, Natsuki, Monika... She rolls over in her bed. This is quite a tricky situation. What can be done? She doesn't want to upset Monika, yet she doesn't want to cheat on Natsuki... Hideki is another matter entirely. What can be done? She tries to think of a way to balance everyone's feelings...

Someone knocks at the door.

While she has no desire to get up, Yuri decides that it would be rude to leave whoever's there waiting and gets up to go downstairs and open the door.

"H-Hi, Yuri..."

It's Monika, the last person Yuri expects to show up at her door.

"Monika? Um, hi..." Yuri says, trying to think to something to say in this situation.

"May I come in?" Monika asks.

"Oh, s-sure..." Yuri answers. Monika comes in the door as Yuri closes it behind her.

"So... I want to talk." Monika says, seating herself on Yuri's couch.

"Good. The sooner we get things sorted out, the better. Should I get Natsuki?"

"N-No, that won't be necessary."

"Well, okay..." Yuri briefly considers insisting, but Monika coming over here in the first place was a miracle, and trying to get Natsuki to come over could cause her to leave.

"So... I just wanted to talk about..." Monika hesitates. "...m-my feelings for you."

"That's good. Talking about these is something we need to do." Yuri says.

"Of course... So... Where to start?" Monika says.

"Um..." Yuri thinks. "Wh-When did your feelings first start?" She asks.

Monika thinks on that for a moment. "It was just before the festival... I was kind of in denial about it, but when you called Natsuki up to the stage, and I saw you two kiss... I realized then that I was too late. I loved you, but I had never shown it... I maintained my composition for the week after, but yesterday... I couldn't do it. I had kept my feelings inside for too long." A tear forms in Monika's eye, and before it finds itself rolling down her cheek.

Yuri hesitates for a moment before reaching over to Monika to wipe the tear from her cheek. She leaves her hand there, on her cheek, for a moment, when Monika sighs.

"You're going to hate me after this, but I need to do it for my own sanity..." She says.

"Monika, wha-"

Monika kisses Yuri.

Yuri's eyes widen, and she blushes intensely. Time seems to freeze.

Monika pulls away first, just as she had been the one who had kissed Yuri.

"M-Monika... I..." Yuri's thoughts turn to Natsuki. "N-Natsuki... s-she's my girlfriend..."

Monika turns away. "I said you would hate me for it... I'm so sorry for that, but I really did need it for my own sanity..."

"..." Yuri can't think of anything to say. Should she yell at Monika? Should she call Natsuki?

"I-I should get going..." Monika says.

Yuri says nothing as Monika gets up and leaves through the door she came from.