three

ELEVEN YEARS AGO

ELEVEN YEARS AGO

"Who's that?" eight-year-old Ruby asked as she held onto the pillow that covered part of her body.

"Sweetie, this is Jimin. He's going to be staying here for a long time," Nyree said, setting Jimin down onto the couch next to Ruby.

Ruby stared at Jimin and scooted away from him. She leaned her nose in and sniffed the air around her, recoiling her nose back in. "Why does he smell like blood?"

Nyree looked at her husband, Taehyung. "His parents were murdered," she replied. "Hunters are ruthless, Ruby. Let this be a lesson to you."

Ruby nodded. "I know. You don't have to tell me twice."

Jimin peered at Ruby and stuck his hand out, making a fist and unclenching again. "Shiny," he said.

Ruby looked down her chest to see the fake silver necklace around her neck. There was one ruby gem in the middle of it, gold lace wrapping around the jewel.

Ruby took off her necklace and handed it to Jimin. He eagerly took her and his child-like mind became occupied and distracted by it.

"Is he my new brother?" she asked, staring at her parents.

"No," Taehyung told her. "Think of him as your protector—or the other way around. You'll be best friends and spend your childhood together. Once he gets older, he's free to do whatever he wants to do."

Ruby pursed her lips together. "I'm stuck with a pup?" she questioned. "When is he going to mature?"

"Soon, dear," Nyree answered. "You were once a pup like him. His wolffish side will grow slower than his human side. Please be patient with him."

"Pups are annoying," she muttered. "They're so energetic and loud."

"I assure you, Jimin is nothing but a good boy. He'll listen to you," Taehyung said to his daughter.

Ruby puckered her lips into one direction. "Okay, fine. I'll take care of him."