seventeen

It was the part Ruby didn't want to happen

It was the part Ruby didn't want to happen. She wished it was a horrible nightmare that would be broken out of its trance when woken up.

She could already smell the blood before the lanterns started blinking rapidly. She felt her mind go blank and tears forming. Her hearing picked up on the hooves of the centaurs and the neighing. She could hear the quiet bells that jingled together when the pixies fluttered their wings.

"Jimin, we have to go," she whispered urgently. "Grab your backpack."

Jimin's heart thumped loudly in his chest. He nodded and slung his backpack on, following Ruby out through the back door.

She could hear his heart beating loudly next to her. Normally, she would say soothing words to calm him down whenever something was wrong, but they had to start moving.

The trail to the mountain was uneven and had gravel laying around everywhere. There were random, sudden bumps that would cause the pair to trip over it. The sun was already moving away from them, welcoming the night.

A gunshot echoed through the forest, the birds flying away with their loud caws. Ruby and Jimin stared up at the sky.

"I can smell the shells," Ruby whispered, wrapping her hand around Jimin's wrist. "We have to go. Now!"

The two ran through the forest with their speed. They stopped when they reached the edge of a cliff. The bridge had disappeared into the river fifty feet below.

"No... The bridge... Jimin, how are your jumping skills?" Ruby asked, breathing heavily.

"What?! I can't jump that! Do you see how far the other side is?!" Jimin incredulously shouted. "Ruby, you are fucking insane!" he shouted once again as she backed up to get a running start.

"Fuck," she whispered. "Jimin, duck!"

"Did you say 'duck' or 'fuck?' "

Jimin covered his head and squatted down as he heard a gun cock. His eyes widened and he looked at the other side of the nonexistent bridge. The hunters were on that side too, blocking them.

Ruby whimpered, as their choices were limited. She eyed the hunters and Jimin who stared back at her with hesitant eyes.

"Jump," she mouthed.

Ruby ran forward and grabbed Jimin on the way, jumping down the cliff and plummeting down into the river.

Ruby could barely hear the hunters shout and groan from underneath the water. The loud sound of rushing water clouded her ears as her hands patted around for Jimin.

Her head bobbed up and she breathed for water, scanning the area for the werewolf. "Jimin! Jimin, where are you?"

His head soon bobbed up from the water, far away from her. He was nearing the waterfall that would throw him into another pool of water. "Ruby!"

Ruby swam for him as he neared the waterfall. She reached out for a bolder and her nails clawed onto the surface. She extended her hand out and their hands grazed. Their fingers locked together and she pulled him against the current.

Ruby struggled with his weight and the strong river current. She pulled him to her and he immediately wrapped his other hand around her wet body. Jimin lifted Ruby to the top of the bolder and she pulled him up. The two hugged each other for warmth as the cold, night air surrounded them.