four

FIVE YEARS AGO

FIVE YEARS AGO

"Ruby? Why do people laugh at you?" eleven-year-old Jimin asked thirteen-year-old Ruby.

Ruby stared down at the tiny Jimin. "My family isn't normal, Jiminie. I've never met my real mother. Nyree is my stepmother, but I love her as my real mother. They laugh because she's a person of color, but I'm fair skinned like the other Koreans."

"But why would they laugh? What's so different? I think all colors are pretty! Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple—brown! Brown is like chocolate! I love chocolate!" Jimin exclaimed, happily tugging on Ruby's hand.

Ruby smiled down at him and pinched his cheek with her free hand. "I'm glad you came into my life. You're so special."

Jimin grinned up, his crooked teeth shining. "You're special too, Ruby! I'm glad I met someone nice like you!"

She kept the same smile up. Her eyes twinkling with sadness. He was such a pure soul that looked for the good in everything.

"You're so weird! Why are you and your family so messed up?" a student shouted, throwing water onto Ruby.

Her skirt was drenched and the top of her uniform curled up with wrinkles. Ruby stared straight ahead, ignoring the student.

"Did you hear something, Jimin?" she asked.

He poked out from behind her, his hands clutching her wet shirt. "No, Ruby."

Ruby hummed. "That's what I thought. Come on, let's go home. It's getting close to curfew."

Jimin nodded and took Ruby's hand in his tiny one. The two started their ten-minute walk home through the forest.

Ruby protected her darling friend from the water. She didn't mind if she was hit with the water, but she wouldn't risk his feelings getting hurt.

"What do you want for dinner?" she asked him as they walked home together.

"Rabbit!" he exclaimed.

Ruby smiled. "Rabbit does sound good, doesn't it?"