The Wonderful Works of Ethics (2/3)

My heart sinks at her words.

How does she know about us? Did she tell us? Did he tell her?

She examines my facial expression  and clarified that it is true.

"H-how did you know? Does anybody else know?" I ask as I rub the edges of cup.

"No, of course not, I would do nothing jeopardize your job." She states.

"He told me.. but he wouldn't allow me to tell you about what is happening.. what is going to happen but I can't.... I have had enough with this job, with them. This almost drove me back to hitting up again." She rants.

"Sara, look at me." I say as I set my cup down.

She complies and I say:

"There is nothing.... absolutely nothing you can't handle.. but you know yourself better than anyone else. If you can't handle a situation, that you tell me and I will handle it. We made that agreement before this job was even in the picture, remember?"

She nods and I say:

"I know that you can't tell me what is happening. But what I do know it that you are stronger than your urge... you've been sober for what? Five years? You've got the cat in the bag, and you can keep it in the bag."

"I've already did it...." She trails off.

"Sara...."

"I was so stressed and it seems like it was the only way to make the pain and anxiety go away-"

"How many times have you-"

"Five." She says.

She sips on her mocha latte before he laughs dryly.

"I'm a lost cause... I've been a lost cause before college was even in my mind..." She states.

"I'm not going to give up on you, Sara. You were there for me during the Hepatitis Unit back in college. I've was there for you when that douchebag senior broke your heart.. We've been there for each other practically since we met. I'm not going to have doubt now." I say.

"What's he like?... Michael, how is he around you?" She asks, changing the subject.

I sigh as I run my fingers through my (Y/H/C) hair.

"He's amazing... he's sweet, considerate, insanely intellectual.... I know that I could lose my job by having a relationship with an inmate.. and I know it was stupid to let him into my life. But I don't care, I'm glad I did. He doesn't belong there... he really doesn't. Granted, he robbed a bank, but didn't hurt anybody and he didn't steal any money either. He just wanted a way in so he could see his brother... he had everything planned out from the start." I say.

There was silence until she says:

"To be honest, I've liked him since I have him his first check up... I knew that I couldn't act on my feelings but it seems like every time I was around him, I would feel all warm inside. I mean who couldn't fall do those baby blue eyes?"

"Then I saw the looks you two were exchanging and I had some suspicions but I didn't want to overstep. So when he told me, it wasn't a surprise." She adds.

"What? Girl! Why didn't you tell me that you liked him?! I would have backed off." I say as I nudge her shoulder.

"Because that was literally all you did in college. When I guy that I liked had feelings for you, you treated them like trash so they would come to me." She states.

"Well a friend doesn't go after a man that she knows her friend likes... that's just bad manners." I say.

"I know, I know. That's why I love that you're my best friend." She says.

I place the pillow on her lap and lay on it.

"We'll get you through this, I promise." I say.

"How are you so calm yet so good at everything you do?" She asks.

"It takes practice my dear." I tease.

"Are you really not coming back?" I ask.

She shakes her head before she says:

You and Trina can handle it. Especially you, you're the most strongest and smartest person I know."

**

After spending the night at Sara's, I got up early so I can go home to take my shower before I go to work.

I promised to call her every three hours and she holding me up to it.

After I take my shower, I change into my work clothes. I pour myself a cup of hazelnut coffee before I scurry out of the door.

I drive to Fox River and go through my normal routine of getting in.

"Hey Dana, where's Sara? Aren't you gals always together?" Bellick asks.

"She uh... she quit." I say as I walk passed him.

"Hmm. Guess she didn't have enough balls to be in here after all, huh?" He teases, causing the other guards to snicker.

I stop in my tracks and walk up to him.

"What did you just say, asshole?" I ask.

"You were always my favorite. Can't deny a girl who's speaks her mind, ain't that right boys?" He states.

The other guys murmur in agreement.

I usually think before I act, but it seems that I left my patience at home. Thus, I splash my hazelnut coffee in his face and set my cup on the counter.

"Damn!" The guards exclaim.

I press him against the wall with my forearm presses against his collarbone.

"If you ever mention Sara again. If I so much as hear a peep coming from you, I will do a lot more than bruise your make ego. Am I understood?" I say looking into his eyes.

He grunts in agreement and I let go of him. The hazelnut coffee drips from his chin and onto his uniform.

"You might want to get a napkin for that, it could ruin your uniform." I add innocently.

I grab my cup of hazelnut coffee and continue walking towards my office.