part two

Ian had a show this weekend for the first time. He was beyond excited. It was a small gig at a house show, but it was a gig nonetheless. Him and Ameer wouldn't shut up about it. Merlyn was also excited, just not as vocal about it. We sat in my living room, smoking from Ameer's stash and laughing as we watched whatever dumb sitcom was on TV. We usually hung out here. My mom was never home because she worked so much and my dad was gone since before I was born.

This was sometimes a before-school ritual, on the nights that mom had a night shift at the hospital. The guys would crash at my place and we would just hang out before school started. When it was time to head over, we reluctantly fixed ourselves up and headed to school in our cars. Ian and I blasted shitty pop music on the way there. It was a guilty pleasure. We laughed as we pulled up, parking and grabbing our stuff from the back. I raised an eyebrow as I saw Matt getting out of his car across the street.  A girl hopped out of the passenger seat, I had seen her around before.

She slung her bookbag over her shoulder and giggled as he wrapped an arm around her, kissing her cheek. I felt my stomach drop a little bit. I thought we had vibed, I had no idea he was taken. "Who's that?" asked Ian with a smirk. "The Matt I asked you about yesterday." I muttered, slamming my car door closed. "He's cute, as far as white guys go." he laughed, making me roll my eyes. "I know. I'm usually not into white guys." I admitted, shaking my head. "Oh shit, you're actually into him." said Ian, eyes wide. "We just met. I literally only find him cute. That's my only opinion." I crossed my arms. "You like him." teased Ian, making me groan. "Even if I did, doesn't matter. He's got a girl." I rationalized. "Relationships are temporary." he smirked, making me laugh. We made our way through the front doors and went off to homeroom.

I sat in the same seat as last time, scrolling through Twitter as I saw Matt sit down next to me in my peripheral vision. "Hey, any plans this weekend?" he asked, stretching his arms over his head and yawning. "My friend Ian is performing at a show tonight." I said, locking my phone and turning to face him. "Oh yeah, I hear about the house show. I was thinking about going." he shrugged. "It'll be interesting for sure." I giggled, crossing my arms. "I guess I'll be seeing you there." he smiled, turning his attention over to his phone. I sighed and unlocked mine, sending a quick text to Ian and informing him that Matt was coming.

-

catnip: matt is coming tonight i think

dumbass: no fuCKING WAY

catnip: ya i think so

dumbass: wtf

catnip: lowkey freaking out why is he going

dumbass: idk he probs likes you sis

catnip: shut UP he has a girl

dumbass: relationships end

catnip: IAN

dumbass: spitting straight facts. sorry if you can't take it

catnip: i lit hate you

dumbass: you should perform tonight

catnip: you know i'm not ready for that 

dumbass: you are you're just dumb!

catnip: am not

dumbass: your voice is fucking killer and your songs are good. you have your demos mixed already. just perform them. 

catnip: it's not that easy

dumbass: except it is 

catnip: fuck outta here 

dumbass: pls do it

catnip: i'll think ab it 

dumbass: well think fast bc ameer and merlyn need to tell the dude to add you to the set list

catnip: what dude

dumbass: his names kevin but everyone calls him jobs

catnip: ugh fine i'll do 2 songs 

dumbass: YESSSSSS