chapter twenty three

Our beach getaway went pretty well. We spent most of the time tanning and swimming, or cuddling in bed. We had to get back to LA early on Sunday because the guys had a show that day. Everyone was really busy with soundcheck and getting ready for the show, but I was hanging out and eating lunch with Rob. We had walked over to grab some food down the street before the show. I had gotten really close with Rob lately. It was just easy to relate with him because we came from similar backgrounds. We sat at a table. I had ordered a chicken sandwich and he had ordered some pasta. "So, have you talked to your mom yet?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. I shook my head, taking a bite of my sandwich. "I've called so many times that I'm fucking over it." I shrugged, putting my chin in my hand. "Eso le pasa (She'll get over it), you'll see. " he smiled supportively, bringing his fork to his mouth and taking a bite of his food.

In all honesty, I missed having my mom in my life. We had been extremely close my entire life, which is why I never understood her attitude towards me following my dreams. She had always been pretty supportive growing up, but she completely snapped when I revealed to her my true passions, even though I was successful. It really hurt to know that she didn't want to see me doing what I love. Even when she was working the majority of the day, we'd always make an effort to hang out and be together. We were genuinely so close, and I found it easy to tell her pretty much anything. It never seemed like a thing I couldn't do, so when she got so upset about my music career, it kinda blindsided me. I knew that she would be upset I had kept something from her, but I honestly never saw her taking it to this extent.

We finished up our meal, gathering our stuff before crossing the street back to the venue. A few fans that were scattered around stopped Rob for pictures. He took a few minutes to greet everyone and take the photos before walking back with me through the venue. We walked into the bastage room, the guys scattered on the couches. I plopped down next to Matt and Ian, smiling widely. "It's my two favorite men." I joked, making the two of them chuckle. "I didn't realize I had competition. That's pretty homophobic." Ian shook his head sarcastically, making us burst out into laughter. Ian stood from the couch, walking over to Ameer. I turned to look at Matt, tilting his chin to meet my gaze gently. He smiled softly, leaning in and connecting his lips with mine. I smiled into the kiss, running my thumb across his cheek lovingly. He pulled away, quickly kissing the top of my head before wrapping an arm around me. I scrolled through my Instagram, opening up my Story camera and taking goofy pictures with him before settling on one I liked.

"Babe, we're gonna hit two years really soon." Matt smiled, leaning his head against mine. "I know, we're practically married." I joked, making him chuckle. "It is a really long time, though. It's been a nice almost two years." I continued, bumping my nose against his playfully. "Eh, they were okay." he shrugged, bursting into laughter and covering his face with his hand. I rolled my eyes and laughed with him, poking his side. "What do you wanna do for our anniversary?" he asked once his laughter had ceased. "I don't know, nothing flashy. All I want is you." I shrugged, making him smirk. "I can do that. Anniversary sex is my favorite." he whispered huskily, making me blush intently and smack his chest. Thankfully, it didn't seem like anyone else had heard him. "Shut up, oh my god." I giggled, hiding my face in his chest. "How about we go to Disney?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I crossed my arms, turning to face him and extremely confused. "You hate Disney." I said skeptically, analyzing his reaction. "I don't hate it, and you love it." he shrugged, taking my hand in his. "What's the catch, Champion?" I wondered, raising an eyebrow. "Oh my god, there's no catch! You love it there." He defended, raising his arms in mock surrender. "Last time I asked if you wanted to go you said you'd rather throw your money in a fire." I challenged, raising an eyebrow. He laughed loudly, shaking his head. "Okay, maybe I was a little dramatic. I haven't been in ages and you're obsessed with it so I figured it would be a good place to go to." he explained, raising my arm and kissing the back of my hand. "Fine, let's go to Disney, but I don't want your complaining ruining my experience. And I want to see World of Color!" I smirked, him nodding and chuckling to himself. I squealed, jumping onto his lap and hugging him tightly. Disney was one of my favorite places to go to, so the fact that I'd be able to share that with the love of my life was honestly really exiting.

The day progressed and it was finally time for the show to start. I walked out with Ashlan and Rob to watch the show from the area in front of the pit. As soon as the guys jumped out on stage, the energy was electric. They sang the songs out excitedly, the crowd singing back every single word. I screamed loudly when Matt rapped out his JELLO verse, winking at me as he did so. He did all the little dance moves that I loved, just to make me laugh. Seeing him onstage was honestly my favorite thing in the entire world. He was in his element and was genuinely so happy when he was performing. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and looked down to see my phone ringing. My mom was calling me, the first time in months. I ran off behind the stage, Matt continuing his verse but looking after me worriedly. I answered immediately, putting my phone to my ear. "Hello?". That's when I heard the words I would never be prepared to hear. I grabbed my things before bolting out of the doors.