Breakdown

The pizza was gone, and so was Eric's shirt. Now, don't get me wrong, he had spilled tomato sauce on it, and we don't really have the same size in clothes, so he had to stick to being shirtless. His shirt had been completely ruined by the sauce, at the moment it was in the washing machine. My house wasn't the warmest in town, so we both had cuddled up under tons of blankets. I had even brought my duvet as the blankets wasn't enough. Eric was still shaking slightly. I scooted closer to give him more of my body heat, so close that I almost sat in his lap. I hoped that he didn't mind me being this close, and if he did mind, he didn't say anything.

Some action movie played in the background, causing the interior to cast weird, flickering shadows. I wasn't paying attention to it. Eric was too eye catching. His eyes were shining and his mouth was slightly open due to his concentration on the film. I found myself blush as I realised how creepy I am. Nobody stares at their best friend like I did. Well, unless you're one of those couples that say "you're my best friend, and that's why I'm in love with you" or something sappy like that. I jumped when I felt a weight on my waist. In surprise and disbelief I glanced at Eric. If I didn't know better I would say that he was blushing. He put his arm around my waist, his eyes staying focused on the television. Neither of us said anything. Instead we both stayed silent. A warm feeling spread in my chest, this didn't have to mean anything, it made me happy nonetheless.

It had been almost a week since the incident at the party. Eric and I had gone back to our usual routines, but it had been awhile since the last time we had hung out at my house like this, even before the party. When we last met up after school it was because we both had a shift at Millie's. We had eaten, talked and then worked together for almost three hours. But we hadn't hung out like this for almost a month, and honestly? I missed it.

The warmth, Eric's presence and my full stomach was slowly making me feel sleepy. Gradually I felt my eyes shut. My body became limper and soon I was laying on Eric's shoulder. I was too tired to care. Just as I felt myself drifting off to sleep, the television became quiet and a weight appeared on my head.

I fell asleep with a smile.

When I woke up, I was comfortable, but warm. The room was dark, the only sound I heard was the soft snores of Eric. We were laying down on the sofa, his body splayed across my own, our feet were tangled together in a way that not so subtly pressed the body parts against each other. His head was in the crook of my neck, the small puffs of air on my skin making me shiver. Eric's arms were around me, holding me close to his chest. It was paradise. The body contact, the small puffs of breaths on my skin, my exploding bladder...

Paradise shattered.

"Eric. Eric? Wake up! I need to pee," I whisper-yelled in his ear. He groaned, shifting slightly, but didn't show any sign of letting me go. I began to squirm in his arms. This was not good. For either of us.

"ERIC!" I said, louder and harsher than before. He finally forced his eyes open. With a loud groan he sat up. I wasted no time as I shot up and ran to the bathroom, leaving him sleepy and completely confused on the sofa.

A couple of minutes later, I emerged from the bathroom. Something smelt familiar. Pancakes. When walking into the kitchen, I was met by the sight of Eric's naked back. Right. His shirt. Only then, I heard the faint beeping from the washing-machine. That was not boding well. As I was struck by realisation I sprinted to the laundry room, throwing the washer open.

"Shit," the shirt was completely ruined. I smelt awful and it had shrunk, probably to my size. My dad wasn't much larger than me, so this was a tricky situation. Not quite literally as his shirt, apart from being shrunk, had actually gotten rid of the tomato sauce.