Chapter 3

In the following days, the clan had been very unsettled by Otterpelt's omen, despite Maplesky's attempts to calm them. No cat seemed sure what was going to happen.

"Cat skulls and bones..." Cherryberry shivered, her amber eyes round. "Will we die out?" Not far from her, Dipfoot and Shallowpool sat together, speaking quietly.

"Otterpelt said the river was running with blood," Dipfoot meowed uneasily.

His mate nodded nervously. "It must mean death... Perhaps a battle?"

Iceslide crouched by the fresh kill pile, nibbling at a trout as he listened to his clanmates ponder about the dream. It was making him uneasy too, but he tried to push it to the back of his mind. He didn't want to think about what doom might await them.

Shorestep padded past him, her apprentice following. "What if Otterpelt's right?" Heartpaw asked, her blue eyes wide with fear. "Are we going to die? Is Riverclan doomed?"

The sandy brown and white she-cat turned to the apprentice, her green eyes gentle. "Hush, there's nothing to worry about." She promised. "Maplesky has been a medicine cat since I was just a kit. He knows what he's doing. If he says it was an ordinary dream, he's right."

Heartpaw hesitated. "But..."

"Nothing is going to happen to RiverClan." Shorestep twitched her ears toward the elders den. "Dewwhisker and Shadepath need fresh bedding. Why don't you go take care of that?"

The silver and white apprentice reluctantly nodded and quickened her pace across the clearing. Shorestep turned away, her eyes flickering with unease. Even she isn't sure. Iceslide thought. She just doesn't want the younger cats to worry. He grunted and stretched out his front paws and arched his back, growing bored eavesdropping on his clanmates. An idea flashed in his mind. I haven't been in twolegplace for a while. He'd made several kittypet friends there. I wonder how they are? Shimmerstar and Salmonstripe lay together by the tree stump where meetings were called. Dipfoot and Shallowpool had their backs to him now, and Shorestep disappeared into the warriors den. The coast is clear! He got to his paws, glancing around before heading toward the camp exit.

"Shimmerstar?"

Fox dung! Iceslide awkwardly changed direction as Frostedcloud walked past him. He sat down and awkwardly started cleaning himself. The deputy glanced over his shoulder at him briefly before continuing toward Shimmerstar. The silver spotted she-cat was laying against her mate, Salmonstripe, who was grooming her. He paused when the deputy approached, swiping his tongue over his muzzle.

"Yes?" Shimmerstar rested her tail around him and looked up at the deputy.

Frostedcloud dipped his head. "Sorry to interrupt. The fresh kill pile is running low. I'd like to take out an extra patrol, if that's alright with you?" The clan leader didn't respond. "Shimmerstar?"

"Hmm? Yes, of course." She nodded quickly. "Go ahead, Frostedcloud. We'll need to stock up before the river freezes over." 

When the deputy turned away, Salmonstripe looked at her, his green eyes filled with concern. "Are you alright?"

Shimmerstar sighed and rested her chin on her paws. "Otterpelt's omen has struck fear into the clan," She murmured. "I must admit it's on my mind too. Something must be done."

The reddish tabby shifted close to her and rested his chin on her head. "Don't worry. RiverClan will be safe."

"How do you know?" The silver she-cat closed her eyes.

"Because you're our leader." His eyes gleamed.

She glanced at him and a purr rumbled in her throat as she nuzzled him. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Salmonstripe."