Chapter 26

Snow drifted slowly and silently to the ground. It was quiet. So quiet. Iceslide lay in the snow near the side of the clearing, looking ahead dully.

Several days had passed since the last attack. The clan was constantly on guard now. The warriors were practicing battle moves and discussing tactics and ways to avoid trouble with the rogues, while apprentices and queens were very jumpy at the slightest noise, terrified of being attacked again.

Shimmerstar had lost another life in the battle, and cats were very worried that she was on her last life. She'd spent the last few days in her den, refusing to see anyone. 

"She must be afraid of losing her last life," Ravenfeather had commented scornfully. "Why else would she hide away at a time like this?"

Vixenwhisper had jumped to her defense. "She's lost her mate and both her kits, in case you forgot! She's grieving."

The black tom had growled. "Her clan should be put first."

"And what if she is on her last life? What if she dies?" Heronleg had asked anxiously. "Frostedcloud would never make it to the moonstone without being attacked by the rogues. Then we'd be leaderless!"

Otterpelt had begun taking on the responsibilities of being sole medicine cat of her clan. She seemed lost and deep in grief for Maplesky. But she was carrying out her regular duties and checking on every cat as often as possible. She seemed to avoid Iceslide at all costs. He knew that she had foreseen what would happen. She knew everything was his fault.

"Hey." 

Iceslide glanced over and saw Winterlight settle beside him. "Hey," He murmured.

It was quiet for a moment. "It's terrible, isn't it?" She murmured sadly. "It's a mess."

"It is. And it's my fault." Iceslide meowed quietly.

Blizzardfur was padding across the clearing with Troutspots. When he spotted Iceslide, he narrowed his eyes and lashed his fluffy tail before looking away and continuing onward. Troutspots bared his teeth at Iceslide before following.

They hate me. Iceslide thought. And they have every right to. The whole clan had grieved deeply for Coralshine. Heartsong had told the clan how she and Creekleap had fought bravely to defend the nursery. They'd given their lives for the queens and kits. Blizzardfur argued that Coralshine should have been in the nursery with the other queens, but every cat knew that she would have rather fought to protect the kits.

There was some good news in the days since the battle. Arcticblaze, Dovewhisper, and Risingmoon had become warriors, and Dipfoot and Shallowpool's kits had begun their training. 

Winterlight had become mentor to Ruskapaw, and she seemed very proud and excited. This was the life she wanted, not with kits of her own, but to train others and fight for her clan.

Just last night, Cherryberry had given birth to her kits. She'd named them Lemonkit and Rainkit, and though she missed Divetail and wished he could be there, she saw him in their kits and it comforted her. Heartsong was very supportive and kept her company often.

The news of Sunripple's death had shocked the clan. Iceslide had decided to lie, saying that they'd been hunting together when they'd been ambushed. It would have been much worse if they knew the truth.

Winterlight watched Blizzardfur walk away, then turned to Iceslide. "He'll recover," She meowed quietly. "He just needs time."

"Time doesn't change the fact that Coralshine is dead," He pointed out. "He's right to blame me for it."

She shook her head. "Any cat who blames you is mouse brained. You didn't kill anyone, they did."

It was silent for a while before Iceslide spoke. "Thanks, Winterlight. You're the only cat who doesn't hate me."