Chapter 21

Snow drifted slowly to the ground. The RiverClan clearing was very quiet. Blizzardfur and Coralshine were sitting outside the warriors den. Coralshine's tail was wrapped around her mate as they watched the snow fall. Shorestep, Troutspots, and Creekleap were clearing snow from the clearing.

Four days had passed since the deaths of Grayshadow, Newttail, and Divetail. Every cat was grieving. But it wasn't all bad news since. Cherryberry's wounds hadn't been too severe, and she had recovered. She'd moved into the nursery, but she wasn't herself. The death of her mate, Divetail, deeply effected her. She was laying in the nursery by the entrance, her chin rested in the moss as she stared out into the clearing.

The other queens, Shallowpool and Heartsong, did their best to comfort her. But nothing seemed to work.

Heartsong was by the fresh kill pile now, her belly plump with kits. She picked out a vole and carried it back to the nursery, resting it in front of Cherryberry. "You need to eat," She meowed.

The reddish she-cat's eyes were dull, and she turned her head away. "What's the point?" She asked quietly. "Divetail's not here. My apprentice is dead. What do I have left?"

"You have your kits." Heartsong settled beside her. "They'll need you."

Cherryberry closed her eyes. "Yours will have a father."

Across the clearing, Frozenripple and Petalfin were looking into the apprentices den. Darkpaw was laying in his nest, his flank rising and falling slowly. Mintpaw was laying near him, his chin rested on his paws. He didn't take his eyes off his brother.

Darkpaw had been very lucky to survive. Many cats, even Maplesky, thought he wouldn't. He'd spent three days in the apprentices den, and Mintpaw had stayed by his side day and night, bringing him fresh prey and water, and keeping him warm. After losing Willowpaw, Mintpaw seemed terribly frightened of losing his brother too. 

But Darkpaw had pulled through, proving that he was very strong despite his size. Vixenwhisper had become his new mentor, however he couldn't continue his training for a few more days. Maplesky wanted to be sure that his wounds had properly healed just in case he tore them back open.

Iceslide longed to go see Violet again and get a break from the troubles of the forest. But he feared if he tried, it would be the last thing he ever did. The rogues would kill a cat out on their own. No doubt.

He noticed Shimmerstar leave her den, Salmonstripe beside her. The RiverClan leader paused and looked at her mate, her eyes anxious. He gave her a comforting lick on the ear. After a moment, she stepped up onto the tree stump. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather for a clan meeting!" She called.

The cats slowly gathered and sat down in the clearing, looking up at her. Cherryberry watched quietly from the nursery, while Heartsong stepped outside and sat down, wrapping her tail around her paws. Blizzardfur and Coralshine sat up from where they'd been laying.

Maplesky sat outside the medicine den. Otterpelt followed more slowly, looking anxious and afraid. She caught Iceslide's gaze and held it, her yellow eyes pleading. He was puzzled and awkwardly looked away. Did she have another vision?

"Cats of RiverClan," Shimmerstar meowed as Frostedcloud stood beside the stump. "I know you're all worried about the rogue attacks." She paused. "We seem to be safe in our camp. The attacks only happen when we're out on patrol or training apprentices. Until we find a solution, I say that we limit ourselves to two patrols a day, with twice as many cats on each patrol. No cat is to leave the camp alone."

She was met by an uproar of yowls of disbelief and shock. Even Frostedcloud looked surprised, revealing that she hadn't spoken to him about this yet.