Chapter 24

The light of morning shone through the roof of the den, awakening Iceslide. He parted his eyelids slowly, looking at his surroundings without raising his head. Through the mouth of the den, he could see the clearing blanketed in white, but the snowing had stopped.

The memories of yesterday returned to him, sending his stomach twisting. Whitedapple is dead... Salmonstripe, Shorestep, Lakesong... Sorrow and guilt pulled at his heart like a stone sinking to the bottom of the river. He felt unable to resurface. He closed his eyes, reluctant to face the world he had caused so much pain to. 

He fell back asleep for a while, then decided that he had to leave the den sooner or later. He rose from his nest and shook his ruffled fur before heading for the exit, drawing in a slow breath. They'll be at my throat when they see me...

When he was outside, he looked around the snowy clearing uncertainly. Mudslip and Vixenwhisper were eating by the fresh kill pile. Warmmoss was licking a cut on Fintail's shoulder.

Swanpool was sitting outside the medicine den, looking uneasy. When Maplesky poked his head out, she looked up. "How is Arcticpaw?" She asked worriedly.

"He was hurt badly, but he'll be fine," The medicine cat assured her. "He just needs some rest."

He noticed how exhausted Maplesky looked and guessed that he and Otterpelt had been awake all night treating wounds. Wounds that I caused...

He saw Frostedcloud and Shimmerstar speaking quietly across the clearing. When they noticed him, they looked at him through emotionless eyes. After a moment, Shimmerstar's eyes narrowed, and her tail flicked before she and Frostedcloud looked away and continued their conversation.

I need to save Truffle and Dime... Iceslide looked around for someone who might not bite his head off. He spotted Blizzardfur speaking with Perchstripe and padded over. As he neared, the striped warrior glared at him and turned away, lashing his tail as he crossed the clearing. Shorestep was his mother. Iceslide remembered with a rush of guilt. Of course he's mad at me.

Blizzardfur flicked his fluffy tail, irritated at Perchstripe's rudeness, then turned to his brother. "Hey, Iceslide."

"Hey." He sat down and found himself unsure of what to say. Is he mad at me too?

The mottled white tom shifted closer to him. "You didn't mean it, Iceslide," He meowed quietly. 

"I still did it," He meowed quietly. After a moment, he looked at his brother numbly. "I need help."

"With what?" Blizzardfur asked.

Iceslide hesitated, looking around to make sure no other cat was near before he spoke. "Two of my friends are being held prisoner by Bone Shred and his rogues. I can't rescue them alone, I need the clan to help."

"What?" Blizzardfur looked at him like he was mad. "Are you insane? You just caused the deaths of their friends and kin, and you expect them to help you save your kittypet friends, risking more lives?"

He looked down, realizing how crazy he was to think they would. "I know," He rasped. "But what else do I do? I can't let them die."

Blizzardfur's blue eyes softened. "Iceslide, you're lucky Shimmerstar didn't exile you yesterday. If I were you, I'd be careful and start thinking of your clan first."

"I am, but they're my friends!" Iceslide stared at him desperately. "Will you help me? Come with me and-"

"No." Blizzardfur replied immediately. "I'm staying here to defend our clan, Coralshine, and our future kits." He studied Iceslide, his expression a mixture of sadness and disbelief. "I suggest you do the same." He turned away toward the nursery.