Chapter 9

"Icepaw, from this moment on you will be known as Iceslide. You have proven yourself worthy of the name, and we welcome you as a full warrior of RiverClan once again."

Thank StarClan! Iceslide let out a sigh from where he stood below the meeting rock. I was sick of being called Icepaw. He had spent just over a moon as an apprentice. Staying in RiverClan territory had nearly driven him mad, and he missed Violet and his other friends deeply. He hadn't even been allowed to go to the gathering a few nights ago, as Frostedcloud had seen how close he was with cats from other clans.

Shimmerstar leaped down and padded up to him, resting her chin on his head. "I hope you've learned your lesson," She meowed quietly. "You are a warrior of RiverClan. Don't forget what that means."

"Yes, Shimmerstar," Iceslide responded quietly and licked her shoulder as customary. His heart twisted with sadness and frustration. I can be a warrior and keep my friends... Can't I? It's not fair.

"Iceslide!" Winterlight started the cheer, her yellow eyes warm as she looked at her brother. Ravenfeather sat close to her, blinking his amber eyes slowly at him. Iceslide could tell that the black warrior didn't approve of his kittypet outings.

 A couple other cats cheered his new name, but most exchanged amused looks or shook their heads in disapproval. 

"That cat is no warrior," Troutspots grumbled. 

Beside him, Shorestep nodded agreement, narrowing her yellow eyes. "He should just stay in twolegplace."

He saw his parents among the cats at the side of the clearing. Grayshadow gave him a nod, while Whitedapple gazed at him proudly. They hadn't been too happy to learn what he'd been up to. But to Iceslide's relief, they never said much about it. Though he had seen the disappointment in their eyes whenever they saw him the past moon. He hoped that would end now that he was a warrior again.

"Congratulations, Iceslide." Coralshine meowed as she and Blizzardfur padded up to him.

Blizzardfur nudged him. "I was beginning to think I'd have to call you 'Icepaw' forever," He purred. "Are you sure you don't want to stay an apprentice?"

He snorted and playfully pushed his brother away. "Yeah! I'd much rather be a warrior."

"I certainly hope so."

Iceslide turned to see his old mentor, Frozenripple, approach him, twitching his fluffy tail. "I hope I won't have the pleasure of training you a third time," He warned, though his pale blue eyes gleamed teasingly.

"That makes two of us," Iceslide replied, dipping his head to the long furred warrior. At this point, I hope I never see Frozenripple again!

"Iceslide! Iceslide!"

Oh no. He took a deep breath and turned as Lilynose bounded up to him, her green eyes shining. "Congratulations! I knew you could do it."

"Thanks, Lilynose," Iceslide forced a purr. "It's good to have my name back." 

He looked away and saw that Frozenripple had gone to his kits, who had been made warriors just before Iceslide. The three young cats had grown a lot in the past moon. Heartpaw had become Heartsong, a beautiful silver and white she-cat who looked very similar to her mother. Petalfin was with her kits now, gazing at them proudly.

Beside Heartsong was her brother, formerly called Heronpaw. There had been only one suitable name for the long legged warrior. He was now called Heronleg. During the naming ceremony, Shimmerstar had praised the young tom for his outstanding hunting abilities, but warned him not to let his talents go to his head. Though Heronleg boasted often, she seemed sure that he would mature in time.