Chapter 27

Three days had passed since the attack. It had been devastating news, but nothing the clan wasn't used to these days. Death was expected every day, it was only a question of how much and who the next victims would be.

It didn't matter when they patrolled or how well guarded the camp was. The rogues always found a way to launch a successful attack. The whole clan was in disarray.

Otterpelt didn't seem to sleep at night. If Iceslide had to go to the dirtplace during the night, he often saw her sitting outside her den, looking up at the stars and whispering, begging StarClan to show her what to do.

It was snowing lightly now. Most cats were in their dens. Iceslide was laying at the side of the clearing with his chin on his paws. Winterlight was settled beside him, her fluffy tail wrapped around him. The clearing was nearly empty. The only other cats were Shimmerstar and Frostedcloud, who were on the far side of the clearing by the tree stump, and Dovewhisper, who was speaking quietly to Darkminnow.

"I keep thinking he's going to appear somewhere," Iceslide meowed quietly as he stared across the clearing at nothing. "But... He won't."

Winterlight looked at him sadly. "He's with Coralshine now," She murmured. "I'm sure he's happy."

"He's dead." He felt his heart sink as he spoke the words. Because of me... Poisoned Sap was going to kill me. I had my back to her, but Blizzardfur pushed me out of the way. It was quiet for a while. "Why did he do it?" He said quietly at last.

He felt his sister press her shoulder against his. "You're his brother," She meowed softly. "He loved you. Of course he would have been willing to give his life for you. I would have done the same for either of you."

It should have been me instead. Iceslide thought numbly. I deserve to die.

"Send out a hunting patrol!" Shimmerstar's raspy snarl caught his attention, and he looked up. The clan leader was facing Frostedcloud, her tail bristling. "It's leaf-bare, and we have even less prey than we normally would!"

Frostedcloud looked down. "Shimmerstar, a lot of cats are afraid to go, especially the younger warriors and apprentices. They're afraid of being attacked."

The silver dappled she-cat flattened her ears. "You think I don't know that?" She tried to hiss, but her voice rose into a cry. "Our own territory is dangerous these days. But Heartsong and Cherryberry's kits have to eat. We all do."

"No cat will be eating if the cats we send die!" Frostedcloud retorted sharply. "Is that what you want?"

Iceslide watched, startled by their agitation. I've never seen them argue like that. Even they don't know what to do. We've started having to plan everything we do around the threat of the rogues, and it's effecting everyone.

For a heartbeat, Shimmerstar's fur bristled angrily. Then she calmed, her eyes flooding with despair. "I'm sorry, Frostedcloud. I just..." She looked confused and helpless.

Frostedcloud rested his paw gently on her shoulder, lowering his head. "It's a difficult time for our clan," He meowed quietly. "We've suffered a great deal this season. No cat knows what to do."

Beside Iceslide, Winterlight watched them sadly. "It's hard to see Shimmerstar like this," She meowed quietly. "She used to be such a strong and determined leader. She'd never give up. But now..."

Iceslide nodded, looking down. A few moments later, he heard paws padding through the snow and raised his gaze to see Otterpelt standing over them.

"Are you two alright?" She asked quietly, giving Iceslide's shoulder a sniff. "Your wounds seem better. Any pain?"

He shook his head. He'd had some bad cuts and scratches from the attack days earlier. Otterpelt had patched him up and told him it wasn't serious and he'd be fine.