Chapter 18

The next morning.

"I knew it," Sarah smirked.

"One minute you two are snapping at each other and the next, you're getting married," Vanessa said as she sat back on her chair, all wonderment.

Alice rolled her eyes.

"Has he kissed you yet?" Sarah probed.

"Sarah! How could you say such a thing?! Ralph is a gentleman. He wouldn't lay a finger on her, at least not until they're married," Vanessa said loftily.

Alice could not contain the snort that escaped her.

"Hmm...why do I feel like you've misjudged Ralph, Van?" Sarah tapped her chin thoughtfully while Alice was sure she was red as a tomato. If only she could tell Vanessa that his finger hadn't been the only thing that he'd laid on her.

Good god, she was an expert at making such innuendos. But when the same was directed at her, she felt suddenly shy. Although she suspected that that had more to do with the memories of last night flooding her mind.

"And I thought you were shrewd," Alice smiled at a disgruntled Vanessa.

"Where is he?" Sarah asked her, finally taking pity on her friend.

"He's talking to papa," Alice replied nervously.

"You don't have to be worried, Alice. Lord Woodbury is extremely fond of Ralph," Vanessa assured her. Alice nodded jerkily.

She unknotted her fingers.

Deep breaths, she told herself.

In...out...in...out...

She concentrated on her breathing and ignored her friends' laughter.

Meanwhile...

Ralph watched Lord Woodbury drumming his fingers on his massive Oakwood table.

He wanted to break those fingers. It had been two whole minutes since Ralph had spoken about his intention towards Alice and the damned man hadn't utter a word.

Behave, he told himself sternly. If things went the way he wanted them to, this man would probably become his father in law.

Another eternity passed. Or maybe it was only a few seconds. Ralph didn't know, he was too nervous.

Finally the old Earl spoke.

"I can't seem to come up with any reason to object," he said gruffly. Those words were sweeter than honey. But Ralph contained his excitement. He knew there was more. There was always a but.

"But as you might know, George Bates has been courting my daughter most enthusiastically. And I do have business associations with him..."

Your daughter doesn't want him, she wants me, he wanted to shout.

"Then again, I haven't seen the same enthusiasm in Alice," he murmured.

Another flicker of hope.

"You're already a part of our family, son. It would give me immense joy to see you married to my daughter," Lord Woodbury said finally, seeming to have ended his internal conflict.

"Thank you, my Lord. I shall always keep her happy," Ralph said, meaning it. He sat still, although he wanted to jump like a little girl.

"She's a troublemaker. She'll be a handful, I dare say," his soon to be father in law chuckled.

I want my hands to be full of her, Ralph thought to himself. He almost laughed aloud. He made a mental note to share that joke with Alice, something told him she'd enjoy it.

"I'm certain I can handle whatever challenge it is that she throws my way," he replied.

"Yes, I know that."

And then they jumped headlong into all the legal discussions. Lord Woodbury seemed relieved when Ralph refused the dowry.

Ralph stood up then to take his leave. He saw the Earl's slightly haggard face an felt just a little remorse. He appeared to be having difficulties with digesting the fact that his daughter was to be married.

Ralph understood the feeling. He'd felt the same when Rosalyn got married. Would he feel the same desolation when his daughter would leave too, he wondered.

"She'll be but a few blocks away. You're welcome to visit her anytime you wish. And she can come here as frequently as she pleases," Ralph said in what he hoped was consolatory tone.

"That easy to read, am I?" Lord Woodbury laughed self consciously.

It's alright for a man to feel sorrow, he wanted to reassure the old man. But he was much the same way. Men were always raised to be hard hearted. They weren't supposed to cry, they weren't supposed to show any form of emotion.

"I know she'll be happy with you, Orford. You've already asked her, I gather?" He eyed Ralph.

"Not officially, but it will soon be remedied."

Lord Woodbury nodded and stood too, coming to see Ralph out of his study.

"This is a happy occasion and I don't wish to spoil it. But something is keeping me from being at peace," he sighed.

"What is it?" Ralph asked, concerned.

"Not a what, it's a who. Bates. He's alright as a business associate, but something about him worries me, it does. I wonder how he'll take the news of your betrothal."

You have every reason to worry, Ralph wanted to say.

"You mustn't worry on his account. I'm sure he's harmless," he said instead.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear readers,
Please forgive me for the delay and I know it's a little short, but I barely have time to breathe with all my pending submissions.

Also, I turned 19 today.

Love,
Roma Goyal.