Chapter 22

Ralph rode his curricle blindly, not knowing where he was going. He barely even registered the pedestrians as he speeded forward.

He'd have thought he'd gone numb. But there it was, the acute pain. More unbearable than any injury of the flesh and he'd had his share of them.

How could have Alice betrayed him? Why didn't she tell him? Hadn't he proved it time and again that he was worthy of her love, her trust?

He wanted to tear off Bates's limbs apart for daring to touch his wife, for so much as breathing the same air as her.

All the same, was it wrong on his part to leave without even giving her chance to explain?

But you did give her a chance, she just didn't have any explanation.

Before he knew it, he was outside Fortescue's opulent townhouse. He desperately needed some answers and for some reason, it felt like his sister would help him find them.

Never in his life had he confided in Rosalyn, he'd never found the need to.

"Ralph...What a pleasant surprise!" His sister smiled, coming to kiss his cheek.

"I wish to speak to you."

"Are you alright?" She asked, concerned, leading him to her husband's study.

"No, I'm not."

"What is it? Is this about Alice?"

Ralph nodded solemnly.

"There's something else you should know..." he said, leaning against the table.

Rosa motioned him to go on.

Ralph told her everything. He told her about how hard it was for him when his parents had died, about how Wolf had found him, everything about his profession.

And for the first time in the history of England, Rosalyn Orford...no, Rosalyn Fortescue had been rendered speechless. Her mouth hung open with shock.

And then, "Oh you're a spy! How dashing," she gushed, clapping her hands to her chest.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" She swatted his arm in a not so playful manner.

"To keep you safe."

"Pfft," she said dismissively. "Alice knows?"

He nodded.

"At least she knows," she huffed.

"Rosa..."

"It's alright, Ralph. I'm actually quite pleased that you aren't as boring as I'd believed," she grinned.

Ralph chuckled, but the sound was empty. Rosalyn immediately sobered.

"What is it with Alice?" she asked.

Ralph sighed and then told her. She was silent.

"I don't know what to do...I thought she trusted me. Clearly, I was wrong."

"Ralph, tell me something. Why did you keep your secret for all these years?"