XXIX.

(Aspen's necklace above)

I still haven't gotten any new messages from Blythe or Marina, it seems as if Lucy had completely dropped off their radar. She wasn't responding to any of my demanding texts or to my incessant pins on her social media pages. For the remainder of the luncheon I kept quiet in my seat, waiting for Marina's text saying that she found her and that Lucy was just mad at all of us.

  At least, I hoped that was it. Still, I couldn't help that gut feeling deep inside telling me that this isn't just Lucy blowing off some steam and making us worry- it was more than that. 

The last course for the luncheon was finally served, a rich chocolatey cake that I felt I couldn't stomach at the moment. Kalvin stuck to my side the entire time, we made small talk but he could see that I was in no mood to socialize. Sitting at the table with the rest of the council representatives sent me a little on edge, the realization that I would have to sit through these meetings for the rest of my life was starting to slowly sink in. 

Or I could pull a Queen Vasilisa and never show up. 

After mentioning the Circle, the table had a motion to talk about putting an end to this tyranny, which was then passed. I realized that we would need another luncheon or somewhat of a formal meeting to actually discuss the motion. I had a lot to learn in this world's politics. 

After finishing his piece of cake, Kalvin leaned over to me and whispered, "Are you alright your highness?"

My eyes widened slightly at the title, I don't think I was used to hearing it quite yet. 

"Yes, I just have a lot on my mind" I admit, he leans back nodding in understanding. I was suddenly grateful that Kalvin Lait was the one chosen to represent the Glaciems after Aurora's death, he seemed gracious and understanding- two qualities that I feel every ruler needed to have. I felt almost like I needed to thank him for the work he's been doing for my people, and for guiding me along what I had to do in order to ensure that Polaris would be okay. 

"I would really like to talk to you after this luncheon, explain how the next few months will go down- if that's alright?" He asks. 

"I'd appreciate it, I have a few questions of my own but I don't think that I should fire away at lunch" I half-whispered back. 

I wanted to know about the Circle, who they were and why people seemed to fear them. I wasn't about to ask the rest of the representatives in fear of looking stupid, I didn't want them to think that I was an idiot as well. I see Kalvin nod at me with a smile in the corner of my eye. I take another bite of the cake but almost let my fork drop as I see my phone light up. 

It was a text from Blythe, but a text nonetheless. 

Emergency meeting in our dorm tonight, no word from Luc- Blythe