XXXVII.

(this is a family member of Aspens:) but you don't know her yet)

My mouth fell open. 

He started to walk towards his, like a predator stalking his prey. He walked closer and closer, until we were three meters apart. So close that I could stick out my hand and end his life. So close that I could take out my gun and run like hell. But something was keeping me here. My thirst for the truth, I needed to know the truth. Why was he trying to hurt me? Why was Dakota here?

"You need to start giving me some answers" I looked around to the three of them. 

"Aspen!" A scream was heard from the entrance, Damien's pastel coloured hair came into view. He and Blythe ran to the entrance and stopped dead in their tracks when they realized who was in the room with me. 

James looked at them, a bored expression fell onto his manic face, he raised his hands, his eyes going pitch black, and a black shiny substance seeped out from his palm. Iron gates built up around my friends, blocking them off from the rest of the room, keeping them trapped against the entrance. Blythe screamed as the iron walls came up before them, she reached out to grab at them but she yelped, pulling her hand back as if it had been burned. My hand was stained black. 

"What did you just do?" I said breathless, stepping backwards from them. 

"It's called shadow play my darling. You've heard of necromancers, right ?" He raised a dark blonde brow. 

"Yes" I said. 

"Well a part from raising and controlling the dead, we have a power similar to yours and your mother's- instead of white fire, we have shadow play. But for some reason, ours could never match up to the Glaciems. I suppose that's why my father hated your kind so much" He mused, he had a ghost of a smile on his face. 

"Isn't that right Cyrus" James looked towards Dakota's Uncle, who nodded in agreement. 

"Show her your arms" He barked at the two of them. 

Dakota, for the first time, rose his head to meet my piercing gaze. He looked ashamed, he was quiet, his mouth not uttering a word since James came into view. He didn't even seem surprised of him. Not fazed at all that serial killer was in our presence. He knew him. I could tell, they were familiar with each other. That fact made me want to scream. My beloved was a crook. I watched as both Dakota and his Uncle raised their arms, James reached out a palm directed towards them, and suddenly a black circle could be seen forming. Forming onto their forearms, with vines crawling up the sides. It was huge. 

"The Circle" I breathed. 

"Yes, very clever. At least they teach you something in this wretched school" James laughed, "They're my loyal followers. All of the Cyrus' are deeply rooted in my cause, it's a family right of passage" He smiled once more, looking on towards the two of them like they were his first born sons.