Seventeen

I found a costume easily even if I didn't have much time: a pair of red pants, a low-cut top also in red, black lace underwear clearly visible, a pointy tail attached to my belt, horns covered in glitter, stratospheric black stilettos and a stunning make-up thanks to Liz. Now I'm a naughty demon. It's been more difficult to sleep these past two nights or focus on my work, I was worried and afraid that Ruby could call to cancel our date. I'm waiting, sitting patiently in a kitchen stool, while playing with the little plastic trident and imagining how I could use it to strike down my last customer: a film producer who thinks that the most elegant things are always the most expensive and luxurious not matter how horrible they look. I hate working for people like him.

Staring at the clock on the kitchen counter I see a movement out of the corner of my eye and Ruby walks through the garden door looking absolutely, amazingly, insanely beautiful. I swallow hard and then I stare at her shocked, with my mouth open for a long minute, while she enjoys seeing my reaction judging by her teasing smirk. Her skin is covered, or should I say uncovered, by a golden dress that sparkles blindingly under the lights: incredibly short with a low-cut, her very long legs highlighted by the golden high-heeled sandals. She turns around playfully to show me her bare back except for some tiny straps on her shoulders that keep the dress in place; her upper buttock area is perfectly visible and none of her tattoos are hidden. She fixes her eyes on me without saying a word; I notice that she's applied smoky shadows and they stand out mesmerizing me, her red lipstick grabs my attention when she smiles smugly. I'm about to have a heart attack here.

- What the hell are you wearing? – I ask her, or at least I think I've asked that, maybe I'm just mumbling incoherently.

- I'm a champagne bubble.

- You're a... well, yes, that's a very nice costume... no doubt. Do you think you will be able of sitting down without showing your... tonsils to all the guests?

- Mmmm I'm not sure. That's why I'm wearing my best French lace panties. Let's check it out and see... - she jumps and sits on the kitchen table, her red lace panties are clearly visible.

- Red? Why red? – I think I'm still in shock.

- Because they match my lipstick.

- Ruby for God's sake, for heaven's sake... for everything's sake! Do you understand that I might have to spend all night stabbing with my trident all those bitches that are going to crowd around you and drool over your bare skin?

- Why do you care about it?

Bang! One shot, straight through my heart. At this point I should be dead. I'm not saying that I don't deserve it but... that was cruel: I do care about her. I try to hold back my tears unsuccessfully. Fuck! Now what?

- All right, you win. I admit that I'm jealous so... this thing we have – the word "thing" makes her raise an eyebrow – it's exclusive, right? Just you and me and no other bitch for as long as it lasts.

- Are you sure? Because that sounds suspiciously like a... serious relationship. I thought you didn't like all that "girlfriend" stuff. Don't you run away every time you hear that word?

- Ruby – I bite my lips nervously – please have mercy. I'm trying, okay? This is very difficult for me... all right: we have a serious relationship. You're my girl... my girlfriend. I'll call you that from now on if that's what you want.

I take a deep breath while she jumps off the table and hugs me grazing my neck with her soft lips. Suddenly I feel like crying relieved, I just crossed a line and now I can finally move on. It's wonderful to get something off your chest, I feel light and free. I lean my forehead on Ruby's shoulder while smelling her intoxicating scent: my bright future smells like Damascena rose. I let out a little chuckle that makes her look at me confused.