Chapter Three

Kai smiled at me as I shook his hand. I gladly smiled back, grateful that another human being was here with me. I did not have to be alone anymore.

I pulled my hand back, "If you don't mind me asking, why are you here?" I question him. I looked up at Kai and raised my eyebrows.

I saw his smile falter but it never completely vanished. "Why are you here?" He asked reverting the question back to me.

I let out a sigh, "It's a long story." I notice that the walls behind where Kai is standing appear to have blood stains, just like downstairs did. The once white walls now have a tint of red.

"I've got time," He tells me after he notices what I am looking at. I turn my focus back to his blue eyes.

"Okay," I say as I push my long brown hair away from my face and look down at my feet. How do I start? I'm not entirely sure what happened myself.

I walk down the stairs, Kai following close behind. He is eager to hear what I have to say, I, on the other hand, am terrified.

I stop once I get to the bottom of the stairs, "Just keep in mind that even the purest hearts fall, and that is exactly what happened to me. I am out of time, there is no redemption for what I have done. I deserve this." I let the words spill out of my mouth before I can stop them.

He nods as if understanding, "What could you have done that was so bad? I can almost guarantee what I did was worse." I hear him say. I look up at him and study his face. He looked no older than I am, but statistically, I'm older than him. His blue eyes stare into mine as I search for a sign that he believes what he said.

Once I find nothing, I trust his word that he would not judge me. "Okay," I say suddenly getting really nervous. My hands start sweating. "I don't really know how to start," I tell Kai honestly.

"How about the beginning," Kai states as he walks into the kitchen and takes a seat at the table. I give him a look as he begins eating the food that was on the table, I'm assuming was there in the real world when this place was created. "What? I can multitask. I can hear you while I eat." Kai explains.

I walk over to the table as well and sit down. "That's the thing, I don't want to be heard," I tell him and he stabs a piece of ham with his fork and puts it in his mouth.

"What do you mean? You don't want me to hear you out?" He asks me confused. "Maybe you are as bad as you think."

I was taken back by his statement. Maybe I am. "No, I don't want to be heard. I want to be listened to." He gives me that look that says aren't they the same thing.

I let out a sigh when I realize that he doesn't care what I want. After centuries alone I'm finally with another human being and he is rude and doesn't care about anyone but himself.

"Okay, I'll tell you the shortened version," I say and I watch as he lifts his head up to look at me. He sits down his fork and pushes his plate aside. I have his full attention. "I took my little brother out to see the werewolves change one night and I stabbed him." I pause for a second and look up at him. Not wanting to show the fear I still have from those moments so long ago, I stare into his eye with a blank expression.

"Well, that does not explain why you ended up here, ms. murderer," Kai says as he played with his fork, twirling it around on his plate.

The nickname that he gave me made me mad, "Don't call me that!" I commanded him. "And I was getting to that." I reach over and take his fork from him because it was starting to annoy me. "I made it look like the wolves had killed my brother, then I brought him back to my family. They all believed the lie. All except my mother. She always hated me, my dad, too, but she saw through my lie and sent me here because apparently, I'm an 'abomination of a daughter'" I explain to him using air quotes, I picked that up from some movie that I watched.

He didn't say anything after I finished my story, and that is what scared me. He thinks I'm so kind of monster now too.

He's going to leave me alone again.

All these negative thoughts were swirling around in my mind the longer he stayed quiet.

I hear him move beside me and I look up at him. "Well, Angel, that is quite the story but I have to say mine tops it," Kai tells me.

I ignore the nickname for now as I let out a sigh of relief. He doesn't hate me, at least not that I can tell. "Can I hear your story?" I ask him. I watch his face grow with hatred. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to," I add even though I am really curious.

His entire mood has changed since I brought up his story of how he got here. Must be bad. I stand up, thinking I should probably give him some space. But space is the last thing I need. I spent more than one lifetime alone.

When he notices that I am walking towards the door he speaks up. "I thought you wanted to hear my story."