Chapter Twenty Three

It was set in stone, I will become a hybrid and Kai will become a vampire after he wins the merge. I do not regret my decision, I think I'm doing what's right. I can finally make up for lost time with my family that my mother stole from me.

I walk down the streets of New Orleans without a destination in mind. I pass by people who look to be enjoying what life has to offer, at the moment I agree with them. I got my family back and an amazing, well I don't know if he's my boyfriend or not but I'm going to say he is.

Kai is leaving in a few hours to go back to Mystic Falls to merge with his sister, Jo. I told him that I would go back with him, but he said I should be here with my family.

As I walk down the streets I see an artist painting portraits of people. I watch him as he paints, he is painting a girl and a guy sitting on a bench together. Then I thought comes to me. I could get Kai a going away, for now, but not forever, gift.

I patiently wait until the artist is done painting before I approach him. "Excuse me, do you take volunteers to model?" I ask him.

He takes the canvas off of the easel and hands it to the couple and they hand him some money. The artist turns to me, "Yeah," he sits down in his chair. "Would you care if I took a picture of you and painted at home, it's getting late." I feel my heart drop, it won't be done in time.

I shake my head, "No that's okay, you get some rest." I say awkwardly as he nods and I hurriedly walk away. Now, what can I get him?

I frown as I walk away. What am I going to get Kai now? He leaves in an hour. I run through everything in my head what I could get him.

A spellbook. He doesn't have one, perhaps he'll like one. I walk to one of the stores that sell the real grimoires and browse through the shelves.

I pick up a book that's from around here and open it. Reading through some of the spells I decide that Kai would like this one. As I start to walk to the checkout a pass a grimoire that catches my eyes.

On the spine of the book it reads, Gemini. That's Kai's coven. My first thought when I saw it was, how did it end up here? The Gemini's are very secretive about everything. My second thought is, I bet Kai never got to read it. His father hated him since he couldn't generate magic, so I figure they never let him learn spells by himself.

I look at the book in my hand, the one about the French Quarter witches, and then back over at Kai's coven's book. I shrug my shoulders, who's to say I can't get both.

I grab the Gemini book and stack it on top of the other book. I continue my walk to the checkout and place the books down on the counter.

The cashier grabs the books, "I see you like to read." He says and it reminds me of what Kai said to me back in the early days in the prison world.

The day was sunny, like any other day in the prison world. I sit on the library floor of Kai's house with stacks of books scattered around me. I hold a book in my hands, I was so into the book that I didn't hear Kai walk into the room.

"Well, seems like you like to read," Kai stated and it made me jump.

I look up from my book and smile at him. "Yeah, well, a good book seems to make time go by faster," I tell him placing a bookmark in the book. "It gives me something to do."

Kai walks over and sits beside me, "I've never been much of a reader. Mostly just stayed in my room." He says with a dark look in his eyes.

I shrug, "Neither was I before I came here. But I was lonely and books made me feels as if I wasn't alone."

Kai was quiet for a few seconds before he spoke, "Maybe I should have read more as a kid then."

I look over at him and smile, "At least those days are gone." I tell him. He never really said what happened to him as a child, but from what I understand he was isolated from everyone. "Besides, when we get out of here you can make them pay for what they did and I'll be right there beside you."

He looks at me as if he doesn't believe me for a second before he smiles. He leaned in closer and his lips crashed onto mine like a tsunami on the coarse beach sands.

Our first kiss. My first kiss.

I'll never admit it, or at least not now, but he's also my first love.

I come back to reality when the cashier speaks, "That will be $25.43." I quickly grab some money out of my purse and hand it over to him. I then grab the bag of books and walk out.

I rush back to the Mikealson house, hoping that Kai is still there. I take the books out of the bag and stuff them into my purse before sprinting to the house.

I arrive in about ten minutes. I don't bother knocking since I'm not sure anyone is here. I swing open the door and rush to my room, or at least the room I've been staying in. "Kai?" I enter the room and look around.

He's gone.

I sit down on the bed and let out a sigh. Freya walks up to my door. "He left a few minutes ago, told me to give you this." She says as she walks to me and hands me a folded piece of paper.

I unfold it and stare at the words before I start reading it.

Angel,

I'm sorry that I left without saying goodbye, but I have to get back. I made a deal with Jo. She's going to do the merge in a month. I'm going to try to make that sooner if I can so that we can be together forever.

Please don't be angry with me. You are the only one that understands and accepts me. You always had. I lie to them when I say I'm a sociopath, I was before I met you. You showed me that it's okay to show emotion, to let people in.

Please don't be angry with me, I love you Angelyn.

Love,
Kai

I look up from the letter and stare at Freya. "I need your help." She looks at me and nods. "I got Kai a gift, I was going to give it to him before he left. Do you think you can send it to him." She nods and I hand her the books.

She places them on the desk and lights some of the candles. She starts chanting and in a few moments the books at gone.

She turns to look at me, "I wrapped them for you." I smile at her and pull her in for a hug. I thank her.

She was about to walk away when I thought of something. "You're a witch." She looks at me. "I'm a witch." She gives me a confused look. "When Kai and I were in the prison world another witch was there when we got out and she sent my magic away," I explained.

She looked like she understood, "You want me to help you get your magic back."