16 | MISCHIEVOUS

„That's what he said?" Sirius asked as his sister had finished telling him about what had happened in the headmaster's office the evening before.

Phoenix nodded. "Perhaps not exactly using these words, but something along the lines of it. Why does everybody keep telling me they know what I'm going through, but they never tell me what exactly it is?"

"That's how Dumbledore handles things." Sirius shrugged, his elbows placed on the table between the siblings. Behind him passed a few Gryffindors looking at him in confusion, as they neither expected him to stay in a place like the library nor to actually look like he took something seriously. "He just tells you as much as it takes to make your curious and then he makes a mystery about what he knows."

"You sound like you know him very well." Phoenix told him, eying him with an unsure look.

"I've got some experience." Sirius chuckled before leaning forward. "Have you told Lestrange yet?"

"No, why are you asking?"

"I'm not sure if you should in fact tell him. I don't trust him, Princess."

Phoenix crossed her arms in front of her chest and leaned forward too. "Well, you don't have to. I do, and if you knew him you would perhaps trust him too." She informed him calmly. She wasn't angry at him because of his remark against her friend. He had the right not to trust him and she perfectly knew how much it took to get Sirius to trust somebody.

"You're probably right, but just be careful. He's an excellent liar from what I've heard."

"You're such a gossip girl sometimes, Sirius." Phoenix giggled and started to gather her supplies. "Listen, I need to go. Professor Slughorn doesn't approve of people being late in his classes."

"And still he only gives you a disappointed look and nothing more." He remarked leaning back in his chair and giving her a mischievous look.

She rolled her eyes, but couldn't hold back a smile spreading across her face. "True, but I'd still like to be on good terms with the teachers."

As she shoved her book into her bag, her hand brushed a letter, which was in there for quite a while now. She hesitated for a second before pulling it out and putting it on the table in front of her brother. "Would you mind giving this to Lily. I didn't get any chance to talk to her lately."

"Sure." He told her offering her a smile as a goodbye.

She already got up and walked a few steps, when she turned around again and added. "Oh, and there's a spell on it. If anyone else than Lily tries to open it they will end up bald, so don't even think about it."

When Phoenix reached the Potions classroom in the dungeons it was still considerably empty, so she sat herself down in her usual seat and pulled a book out of her bag. She had already read it several times but it was still way better than listening to Sirius telling her about the people she had to trust and people she didn't have to, although he was still a lamb compared with Regulus. Slowly students started to shuffle in and Phoenix didn't even bother to look up as somebody took the seat next to her, since she was sure it was Maureen who always sat next to her during potions and Dawn never bothered showing up early because she thought she didn't have to sit longer in a classroom than she was obliged to.

"Pride and Prejudice again?" Rabastan's voice finally made her look at the person seated next to her.

"What are you doing?" She asked wearing a questioning expression on her face.

"Sitting?"

"Yeah, I can see that." Phoenix couldn't stop a smile appearing on her lips at his stupid answer. "I mean why are you sitting in this seat?"

Rabastan gave her a charming smile. "Well, you looked so terribly lonely when I came in and I thought you might like some company."

Phoenix held up her book. "I'm in good company, thank you. You should probably get to your seat. Maureen hates looking for seats. She's the most outgoing person I know but when it comes to sitting next to somebody she doesn't know very well she somehow gets horribly nervous."

"Oh, she can sit next to Reg." Rabastan told her putting his shoes on the table in front of them. "He always dreamed of sitting next to her in class. It's his darkest desire."

"That has a weird sound to it." Phoenix pushed his feet back down, instead placing her Potions book where they had been. "Besides he thinks she's weird, so..."

"They will survive."

"But I'd like to keep my flawless class reputation. You won't do any kind of mischief?"

"Won't."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Fortunately Maureen wasn't too lost and found two empty seats, of which she kept one free for Dawn, which left Regulus alone and giving his best friend a weird look before seating himself next to Alexander Rosier, another Slytherin student. Still Phoenix wasn't really happy to share a desk with Rabastan, who enjoyed getting into trouble at any chance. Professor Slughorn giving them a group task of mixing the Wiggenweld Potion didn't make the situation any better. Miraculously all of her friends had passed their O.W.L.s with good marks in this subject and she knew Rabastan had managed to be amongst the best students, but she was well aware that he was only that good if he actually cared. When he didn't, he wouldn't lift a finger or do it wrong on purpose. Both of it could ruin her potions grade and she wasn't so sure if she could trust his promise made earlier, but she had no choice either.

He didn't seem to be in the bad mood though and really helped. The only problem was his constant talking, as she was used to work in silence and it made it very hard to concentrate. But on the other hand it made the time pass very much faster as it was somewhat entertaining. At least until she turned around only to him finding him holding the boom berry juice over their cauldron although it wouldn't be used until at least five steps later. As she looked up to him she noticed he perfectly knew. A mischievous smirk was placed on his lips as he looked down at her. Her eyes grew wide as she realised what would happen if he did. Adding the boom berry juice too early, especially when heating the potion, would make it explode and shoot the in that state corrosive liquid through the complete classroom. It would definitely get the both of them in trouble as they were a team. And according to Rabastan's face he definitely would do it.

Phoenix attempted to stretch out her hand to stop him but at the slightest movement he dropped it and threw himself in her direction pushing the both of them to the floor. For a moment his face was incredibly close to hers before a loud bang filled the room and the potion splashed through the room. Several students cried out in pain and Rabastan, who shielded Phoenix' body with his, took a breath, definitely realising what his action had caused.

She was paralyzed for a mere second before pushing him off and whispering. "You promised."

In the corner of her eye she saw Professor Slughorn, a man about in his fifties with brown hair, move his wand and the greenish substance on the desks surrounding her disappeared. She immediately got up, keeping her head down as she didn't want to see the Professor's disappointed face.

"Detention and fifty points from Slytherin for the both of you. Miss Black, please take Mr. Lestrange to the Hospital Wing as your joke apparently harmed him the most." He turned around not giving them one more glance. Furiously Phoenix glared at Rabastan before doing what the Professor had ordered her to do. As they reached the door he called out once more. "I am really disappointed, Miss Black."