38 | CATCHING UP

"Hey, earth to Phoenix. Are you still with us?" Maureen snapped her fingers in front of Phoenix' face.

Giving her a little smile, she softly slapped her pink-haired friend's hand away. "Sure. You were just debating whether blue hair would look good on you or not and I already told you I would rather have it stay the colour it is now."

Groaning Maureen buried her face in her hands with her elbows placed on her desk in the defence against the dark arts classroom. Dawn who was sitting on her other side, however, started to laugh uncontrollably. "That's what we were talking about five minutes ago. How does everybody think I'm the one daydreaming?"

A blush crept its way up to Phoenix' cheeks. She had in fact not payed much attention to what they had been talking about most of the morning, but she had hoped they wouldn't notice. Obviously they had, but she couldn't prevent herself from thinking about what had happened three nights before at the Hospital Wing. She hadn't told anybody a word about the kiss. Well, she wasn't even sure if it could be called that. But even if it wasn't, Rabastan had done a good job at confusing her. Even more since she had no clue how to act about it. She had hardly any to no experience with boys - or girls. Maureen was usually the person she would go to with these kind of problems, but she felt so incredibly stupid and couldn't even get herself to admit that something had happened at all.

"Oh," was the only thing, which left her mouth, making Dawn laugh even harder.

Maureen sat up straight as well, smirking at her. "Is the night out with a certain boy catching up to someone or is she simply missing her morning coffee?"

"I hate coffee," Phoenix told her way too fast and immediately wanted to take it back. It wasn't like her best friend didn't know how much she disliked the dark drink.

"I know," Maureen laughed, wiggling her eyebrows. "Spending the night with Rabastan is definitely catching up on you. What did you do anyway? Make out?"

Phoenix' breath got caught in her throat with her words, nearly making her choke. "What? No!"

She glanced around them, making sure nobody had heard what her friend had just said. Thankfully they were early, which meant there were not that many people in the classroom yet.

Maureen pointed a finger at her face, turning around to Dawn. "She's blushing."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are," Maureen laughed. "So what did you two do?"

"We did not make out."

"But something did happen," Maureen stated while Dawn looked at her curiously.

"No, I wasn't even there that long."

"But you stayed until after curfew. I would not call that not that long," Maureen pointed out, making her groan in annoyance.

"Nothing happened, okay?"

The pink-haired girl narrowed her eyes at the youngest Black sibling, already opening her mouth to say something when Dawn interrupted her. "Just let her be, Maureen. She would tell us if there was something worth telling."

"Whose side are you on?" Maureen retorted playfully upset.

Dawn simply rolled her eyes at her. "I'm on nobody's side."

And with that the bickering started, while Phoenix sent Dawn a thankful look over Maureen's shoulder, which was returned with a smile.

Lowering her eyes, she noticed her hands and the feather on the desk in front of her slightly shaking. Similar things had already happened several times after the experiment Sirius and Rabastan had launched, usually in situation where her nerves were going crazy – even if it was only a little – considering she was often scared of doing or saying anything wrong it happened quite frequently. Trying to stop the feather from moving, she clenched her hands together in her lap.