One

I glanced out of the carriage window to see Edwin waving back at me. He was not smiling, but I could see it in his eyes. He was happy for me. Although he was trying to put in a good face for Sirus. Attempting to intimidate him. That ofcourse would not work but I let him keep his threatening face on while waving goodbye to me.

"Queen-"

"-It is Esmerelda," I retorted to the coachman who looked at me with a nervous look as he nodded his head in understanding.

"There is a storm up ahead. I would like to roll down the thick curtains," the man gulped as I smiled nodding my head.

I wanted to be called Esmerelda. Nothing more or less. All my titles have been stripped from me. Not from someone else's accord, but from my own. The name I would go by while on this short voyage to see my friends. To get to know my son better. I was simply Esmerelda and I swore that the moment someone called me a formality, I would be gone. Unless it was Lady Esmerelda or Mother. Even William wished to remain calling me Queen and I respectfully declined it.

"Queen...ah Esmerelda?"

William and I were in our carriage, right behind Thorian and Sirus. William had told me he could sustain to sit in a carriage with Sirus, but I knew Sirus was not capable of doing that. It was impossible. "Yes William?"

I could tell he did not feel comfortable in the slightest calling me by my name and that was that. He would just have to handle it and that was that. "How long will our stay be? I would never rush this time here with your son and friend but I would just like to know."

I laughed softly, "You have to get home to your secret lover, yes?"

He glowered at me as I laughed even more. I always talked of a secret lover with him and each time I had mentioned it, he would combat that with some very personal profession of how close we are and how he would never keep any secrets from me...regarding women of course. I knew William had his secrets...I knew them of course anyway.

"I am worried about Edwin is all. His proposal...is an interesting one." Yes, it was and I was worried sick about him also, but he is King as he has stated to many times before. To the point of me almost throttling him. Which seemed to be a common thought since he has become King.

"I agree...but I will not sit about and watch him like a nurse maid. We have given him as much as advice and knowledge as we could give him, William. If he does not choose to use it, it will be his legacy." Of course if things became too crazy I would just have to speak with him or possibly overthrow him.

He chuckled, "I suppose he will be fine. I am just adamant about coming here. It just seems surreal that the man that has caused so much damage to our kingdom...to you is opening his home to you to just simply visit." It did sound...surreal but it was true.

My hand went to his, holding it. "It is surreal for me to accept his invitation and bring you."

"Touche."

***
"Esmerelda...wake up."

Tired eyes slowly opened at the sound of a familiar voice calling in my ear. I sighed, slowly taking in my surroundings as I noticed that the carriage had stopped.

I was leaning against William, my head pressed into his chest and his arm wrapped loosely against me. I glanced up to see him staring down at me, a smile on his lips. "Finally you have awaken."

It was not my fault that I had a long last two days...this was the best sleep I have ever had in my entire life. Most likely due to that...chain/bond being broken.