Five

"I cannot feel any part of my body."

My hands gripped a soaked cloth, writing it tightly before gently placing it on William's side. He stifled a groan, his hand going to his mouth.

"You are an imbecile," I chastised him as he gave me a lazy smile. I pressed down on his wound even more and he winced, grabbing my hand from adding too much pressure.

He sighed out loudly, "Lord Rowan did not think I was strong enough to care for you...so he tested out my abilities," he said as I shook my head. Feeling the need to slap him and cause him more harm! I could also hit Rowan too!

"William you are a human, they are not! When they are injured they heal quick, when you injure it takes forever for you to heal. You bruise like..like a piece of fruit," I told him with a laugh bubbling up to meet the insult.

I could not believe him. I left him for a few hours and he gets beaten up. After Thorian and I had our serious talks, he mentioned about smelling blood, with a smile on his face. I forced him to bring me to where the blood was coming from and found Rowan helping a bloodied heap of William to his room.

At first I thought he was attacked by someone else by how the two were walking and taking so casually. "So you and Rowan are...not okay with one another, I guess?"

"No, he is a good man. He could have done worse to me but found my efforts valiant and my intentions with you pure. He told me you deserved a good man, and thinks I am one...which I am!"

That brought a smile to my lips for some odd reason...sure William almost got himself killed but he did it to prove himself to Rowan. A friend I hold dear. "You did not have to do that, William. I know the kind of man you are, you have nothing to prove to Rowan, Chelsea, or even Thorian of that matter."

He groaned as he struggled to sit up. "I know but still, I owe Rowan much. He told me of his wife's and your companionship so long ago. I owed him a show of my strength for him and his wife being a help to you so long ago."

I pressed my hand to his bruised cheek before attempting to kiss his lips. He turned so that my lips met his cheek. "You are too perfect for me, William. Marry an even more perfect Duke's daughter."

He scoffed, "What fun would that be?"

"I suppose you are right...chasing a princess is much more of a thrill, don't you agree?" I mused, watching his smile falter a bit.

His mood did not sour even when fighting a lycan but it soured from the few words I just spoke into existence. "A man can only chase so much until his feet tire, Esmerelda."

William was right. I had strung him along for so long I was surprised he had not given up already. "Your feet tire, William?"

"Only a bit...it would be nice for a woman to come rub them once every while," he mused as I gasped.

How dare he think that I will just...just lie with him! Sure I want to, I would really like to but he is the one who wants to wait till marriage! "I thought you were a gentleman!"

The color drained from his face, "Esmerelda I was using an analogy...What did you think I meant? By rub feet I mean settle down with me! You know we would both stop the running and-"

"-I understand," I said quickly. I am an imbecile. A complete dunce. I am ashamed for thinking so dirty! I suppose this would be a good chance for me to confide in him. "I have a question for you...but I do not want to upset you."

He gave me a wary look. "I am already injured physically, I beg of you injure my heart further."

I hit him lightly on his shoulders. He was acting like Edwin with his dramatics! "Stop it, it is just a question...why must we marry? I understand marriages I do, but why can we just not stay as we are?"