Four

"-Stop," she pleaded. Her shoulders seemed to shake and not caring about my ounce of anger towards her, I quickly met her face to see what was wrong. She had tears in her eyes. "I...I cannot bare to look at you, Esmerelda."

A pang of discomfort shot through my chest, my hand that was reaching out to her, coiling back. What did she mean she could not bare? "Chelsea...I know it has been a while, but I assure you I do not age that hideously," I joked dryly.

She was wiping her tears, shaking her head. "Esmerelda...please do not act as if you are happy to see me."

What was wrong with her? What was happening? "Chelsea you are my oldest friend, of course I am happy to see you. What has you thinking like this? Tell me, Chelsea," I demanded her as she took a deep breath.

"You...I...I am sorry," she said quietly, wiping at her tears, as she finally met my eyes. "I was...not a good friend so long ago. I have had so much time to think and I just...I am sorry."

Apologize? I knew Chelsea did not show much emotions...so I was surprised at this. Whatever she was referring to...I did not even remember. Sure we had times we disagreed, but we were friends. "Chelsea...we were both young and both involved in our own worlds, it is fine."

"No...I should have tried harder to understand you...and Thorian. I feel so awful for not trying harder to help you stay with him-"

"-Stop!" I have had enough of this. Enough. I wanted to have happy conversations with my old friend. Not brining up things from the past that we had no control over. "Chelsea tell me you could have changed Sirus's mind? Tell me!" I demanded her, as she winced at how loud my voice had become. Sirus had a mind of his own and I am pretty sure he did not even like Chelsea enough to even listen to her so long ago. No one could have changed his mind back then and I am sure no one can change his mind till this day.

Chelsea sighed, "I could have tried something...I just feel awful."

"Whatever anger I had towards you has vanished since you have taken care of Thorian...that is all I could have asked of you and you did that, Chelsea," I told her while gripping her shoulders tightly.

She let lose a strained laugh, "I am so glad...I have tried my best with Thorian. I have sent you so many letters about him. When you stopped answering I became nervous, I thought you were beginning to hate me."

I did stop answering her when speaking of Thorian. My heart just could not take it at the time...She wrote about him in great detail and every description of him had my heart tearing in two, and I just had to stop. When I finally picked up the letters again, I neglected to write back to her. "Chelsea, it is fine. Please-"

"-Rowan and I tried to be good influences on Thorian. We even had Esa so he would not be so lonely..." I grabbed her in a tight hug. She had Esa just for Thorian. Even if she thought she was an awful friend...I did not see her that way.

"Thank you, Chelsea," I told her as she struggled against my hug. Stubborn, so stubborn. "Chelsea we will stand like this till you hug me back!"

She let lose a snort...which turned into a laugh. Her arms tentatively wrapped around me and I felt her welcome my hug. After a few seconds she was pulling away, wiping at her tears still. This was the most I have ever witnessed her cry. "You look wonderful, Esmeralda. I was expecting you to look older."

How kind of her to say. "And that is the Chelsea I have been looking for," I said dryly as she smiled slightly. "And yes I attribute my good looks to being tied to Sirus...but I do not know if I will suddenly sprout grey hair since the bond is broken."

I hoped not. I rather liked my hair like it is...but since it is such an odd color maybe the silver hair will blend in. Hopefully. Chelsea frowned, her eyes going to my neck. "He broke the bond?"