Three

"Where would you like to talk, Sirus?"

Everyone had left from breakfast. William had reluctantly went with Rowan. I rather I'm go with Rowan than Thorian. I knew Thorian did not care for him at all.

"Wherever you want."

I glanced at him. He had his hands behind his back. Watching me carefully. Age has definitely taken its toll on him. Not as much as a regular mortal, but he seemed older still. For a lycan.

Since he was letting me choose, I began to walk away from him. He followed, like I expected. I wandered the halls, some places not toggling my memory...some places did.

I paused at one door, my hand tracing it lightly. It seemed so familiar...yet not. With curiosity getting the best of me, I pushed it open. Books...a large desk. A wooden dresser, filled with books.

"Do you remember this room?"

Edwin...Edwin and Sarah. So young and full of life and mischief. This was the room where Sarah and I hid from Edwin. I glanced down at the tile. I specially remembered the intricate designs of the tiles. "No."

He sighed. I watched as he began to close the door. "Keep it open, Sirus." He pressed his lips firmly together, his hands letting go of the door. "What is it you want to talk to me about?"

Walking over to the large desk, he leant his weight on it. "I need you to speak to our son."

I was surprised. I thought it would be something different. Maybe more apologizing. Groveling. I had my speech of I hate him prepared...but apparently I would not be able to use that. "About what? What is wrong with him?"

"He does not wish to be King."

Thorian does not wish to be King? He would be a great King...the greatest. How could that have happened? "What did you do?" I accused him, glaring at him as he gave me a look of confusion. "Did you fill his thoughts with your perverse ideals of royalty?!"

"No. I did not, actually. I taught him everything he needs to know. Ask Rowan, ask your dear friend Chelsea, I would not stray my own son the wrong ways!" He growled, as I took a step back, suddenly feeling as if he might attack me. He could do it. It would be easy considering this was his kingdom. His home.

He must have notice how tense I was becoming and took a deep breath. "Esmerelda, he is my son...I have tried to make King something of importance to him. I do not know where I went wrong and I am going to kill him if he does not ascend to the throne...when I want him to."

I understood...to an extent. Not the killing part of course. When Edwin was around twelve or thirteen years of age he had no desire to be King. He even became rebellious and would prank the staff and be awful to some of the soldiers. I was furious with him. I told him that he should be honored to be the next King...and  I suppose I did threaten him, but not threaten to kill.

"Why does he not wish to be King, Sirus?"

"I do not know! He will not speak to me.  Every time I try to speak to him he tells me everything is fine. He is acting like Esa. Temperamental and angry. I do not understand and now that you are here you should speak with him." He did not look happy. At all. He resembled a grumpy father, one who did not know what to do with their young child. He slightly resembled my father when I told him I refused to marry. He almost had a heifer...it was quiet comical and it seemed so long ago.... Too long ago.

I had no time to reminisce of the old times... I had to look forward now. "What else has been happening with him? Have you been pushing him to do things he does not wish to do?" That had to be the explanation. Sirus was obviously pushing my son too hard, and a person can only take so much.