Valentine's Day

A/N I know it's not Valentine's day, just bear with me.
*Even though the main character is a girl, the message applies to everyone.

Warning, this story will be slightly suggestive but nothing will happen.

I take a deep breath and try to calm my nerves as I shakily raise my hand up. My eyelid twitches, not used to the pressure of the eyeliner. I apply my makeup to make me like all of the other girls at school, Barbie dolls. Drawing out my eyes and covering the small imperfections on my face to make me beautiful. I glance at the makeup tutorial I have open on my phone, checking the mirror every so often to see how I was doing. Mascara, eyeliner, lipstick, concealer, blush, eyeshadow, the works. All of it is on my face. Two hours and sixteen tries later, I am ready, barely recognizable, but ready. I open my closet, a bright pink low top, and black mid-thigh skirt, tall black high heel boots, jewelry, and perfume finish my valentines day look.

I want to be just like the other girls, the ones Conner talks to. Maybe now he'll notice me. I clumsily run downstairs, and sneak into the kitchen and grab my lunch and breakfast and slide out the door. I don't want my mother catching me. She would definitely make me change my clothes and unravel my hard work. I walk down to school rehearsing my flirtatious lines to Conner. Finally, I sigh and stop walking. What am I doing? This isn't me! I'm the nerd in jeans and glasses that read books and fangirls over ships, I'm not like the other girls who fling themselves at guys!

"Conner will never like a nerdy girl, trust me, this is the only way to be noticed by him." The voice purrs in my head. I look forlornly at the sky and keep walking. As the school nears I change my walk: hips out, chest up, strutting like a peacock. I pull open the doors and march inside, heads turn, and whispers are exchanged. Good, at least they're noticing me. Now I just need to find Conner. I head down to the cafeteria where Conner and his group normally hangs out. I stop at the caf door, take a breath and strut into the caf. I scan the group of giggling girls and masculine guys and my heart stops when I see him. His perfect white smile, mischevious brown eyes, and messy golden hair exhilarates me and I nearly swoon. I slide up to the group, making my way towards him.

"Hey Conner." I smile and tilt my head. His face brightens and he looks at his pals.

"Hey beautiful, what's your name?" He moves closer to me and my heart pounds in my chest. I giggle and tuck a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Autumn,"

"Well, Autumn, Happy Valentines day. How 'bout you be my valentine today?" He flashes a grin and slings his arm around me. My entire being buzzes with electricity.

"Couldn't hurt,"

I pass through the first and second period in a bubble, dying to get to lunch and see Conner. Envisions of our relationship, first kiss, and time together pass through my head. When the last bell of second-period rings I take off as fast as I can and head towards the caf. Conner is already waiting for me when I get there and he invites me to sit on his lap. I smile, flirt and laugh. Conner flirts with me like there is no tomorrow, complimenting and teasing me. I eat my lunch trying to be neat and don't notice Conners hand sliding up my leg. I feel it almost under my skirt and jump away from him.

"What's wrong?" He asks innocently.

"You, you were-" I gasp pointing my finger.

"Oh come on Autumn. This is what you want right? With that low shirt and skirt? You were practically begging for it."

"You never liked me, you just wanted my body!" I scream.

"Of course! No one will ever like you for who you are!" He snarls and I storm off, tears making my makeup run. I sprint down the school steps and run home. When I get there I let my self in. Mom was at work but my older brother John was home sick. I sneak past him and creep upstairs, once in my room I throw my self onto my bed and cry.

An hour later I hear someone let themselves in my room and my bed sinks as John sit down on it.

"Autumn? Are you okay?" I shake my head and bury my face in my pillow.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I didn't want to, but I was about to burst. I start slowly, explaining my year-long crush on Conner, and, like a landslide, the whole story falls out. At the end, John gets up and picks up my makeup remover and wipes. He sits back down at looks at me.

"So, what do you think about this?"

"That boys are terrible!" He chuckles and shakes his head.
"Boys aren't that terrible, I should know." He pours some of the makeup remover on the cloth and starts to wipe my face.

"Conner was just a self-centered, women using idiot that doesn't deserve you. I pity him that he didn't look past the surface." He tossed the makeup covered wipe in the garbage and started using a fresh one.

"Do you know what he'd see if he did?" I shook my head.

"He'd see a beautiful girl with enough confidence to not cover her face every day. One that rocks her style even though it isn't considered popular or pretty. A girl who is funny, kind, insanely smart, and will be a wonderful girlfriend to a guy one day. A girl who I'm proud to call my sister, mistakes and all." He sat back, finished removing my makeup and smiled kindly. I hug him, tears still running down my face.

"Don't you worry Autumn, one day a man will come who will love you for who you are." He hugs me tighter "And if he doesn't I'll break his arms and hang him on a tree." I smiled and absorbed my brothers love.