Chapter | Fourteen

14 | ASSASSINATION
____________

THE MIKEALSONS SAT NEAR THE sheriffs window, using heightened senses to listen in to what was being said.

"-So, the Walcott's were the first." Hope spoke, gaining their attention instantly, "At least the first that we know about. Four murders. Sean, his brother, and their parents. They were killed by a professional assassin called The Mute."

"What the fuck." Kol whispered eyeing his siblings, "This town is worse than Mystic Falls." He huffed.

"Weapon of choice, a military tomahawk." She continued, too busy explaining to listen out for any eavesdroppers, "But then The Mute was killed by Peter Hale after he tried to blow up Derek with a Claymore mine. Next was Demarco. He delivered a keg to the party at my lake house. And got decapitated outside his car."

Klaus couldn't help the low growl that escaped, trying to contain his anger, while Hayley held her hands to her mouth in shock.

"Does the scent tell you anything?" Asked the sheriff, as Elijah had informed them.

"Definitely a werewolf." Scott spoke up, "But there's more. I think he was part of a pack."

"Well, if he was, they'll be looking for him."

"And then last night, 23-year-old Carrie Hudson." Stiles sighed.

Why was there so much death in such a small town? They wondered, glancing to one another.

"It's a dead pool." Hope spoke up as the Mikealsons gaped, "A hit list of supernatural creatures. This is only part of it. The rest still has to be decoded." Kol peeked in the window watching as Hope took a price of paper from her back pocket.

"Who found this list?"

"Lydia."

"How?"

"She wrote it." Hope trailed off, "Actually, she transcribed it. Without realizing it." She added.

"Banshee?"

"Banshee." Stiles confirmed.

"Damn," Kol smirked, "Its been a long time since I've seen a banshee."

"Beautiful." The sheriff sighed, "All right, what are these numbers next to the names?"

"We're getting to that." Stiles told his dad, "First, you need to know that the code was broken with a cipher key."

"Wait." The sherif paused, "You mean, like a... Like a key word?"

"It's actually a name." Scott told him, heart beating loudly as flashbacks continued.

"Allison." Hope whispered, voice cracking. Klaus' alongside his siblings hears ached. "Her name broke a third of the list."

"And now we think there's two other cipher keys."

"Which will give us the rest of the names." The sherif nodded, "Okay. So how do we get the cipher keys?"

"Same way we got the code." Stiles told him.

"Lydia." Hope spoke up, "She's been out at the lake house all weekend trying to find the other two key words."

"You didn't know about Demarco or Carrie." The Sheriff, Noah muttered, glancing at the paper in his hand, "Hmm? And what about these other two names on the list? Uh, Kayleen Bettcher and Elias Town. They werewolves too?" He asked.

Scott shook his head, "I don't know. But Deaton said that the Nemeton would draw supernatural creatures here."

"Here being Beacon Hills?" Noah asked, rubbing his hand over his face in exhaustion, "Or Beacon County? The population of Beacon Hills is just under 30,000."

"-And dropping."

Elijah chuckled slightly at the teens humor as they listened in.

"But if we're talking Beacon County, then you're looking at close to 500,000." Sheriff stated, "Look, how many werewolves, banshees, kitsunes and whatever the hell else is out there are we talking about? And what if the next cipher key uncovers not 12 names but 100?"

"We don't think there would be that many." Stiles spoke up, "There's a limit."

"Because of the numbers." Hope told the man, "We think that once we decode the names, the numbers will add up to 117."

Frowning the Mikealson family listened in, straining their ears as the sheriff spoke up in a confused tone, "117 what?"

"Million." Hope breathed out, shakily, "117 million dollars. Stolen from the Hale vault and is being used by someone to finance all these murders."

Stiles glanced between his best friend and girlfriend in worry, "Someone who wants every supernatural in Beacon Hills dead."

"So the coded list goes out." Noah spoke slowly, "And somehow these professional assassins get that list." He nodded, a loud sigh echoed.

"And a cipher key." Stiles inputed.

"-And then they go after the names on the list. They being killers with no mouths, tomahawks, thermo-cut wires that can take your head off." Noah stated, looking at so of his papers that scattered across his desk.

"Let me see." Stiles frowned taking so of the police evidence from his father, "Carrie was also stabbed. What's this mark?" He asked pointing to the paper. A ring like shape wrapped around the neck.

"We're not sure yet." Stressed the father, "We're still waiting on the ME's report. There's one other thing I don't get. How did this new assassin know that Demarco was going to be at the lake house?"

"Everyone knows he delivers kegs to teenagers for a little extra cash." Hope informed them, knowing first hand.

The Sheriff nodded, "Ah. So whoever ordered that keg killed Demarco." He purses his lips in thought.

"Yeah, it was someone at the party." Stiles glanced up, rubbing his eyes.

"A student." Hope breathed out.

Hayley frowned, "We need her out this town as soon as possible." The mother jutted her chin out at the others nodded.

________

.