Home

Wow, it's been awhile; 7 years or so since we've been in here?  Oh, there's the nail that we put in the wrong place when you were hammering that board to the tree, so we used it as a coat hook.  And there's our drawing of what we thought our future was when we were 7.  Hell, we thought we'd be best friends forever, Wesley!
Mom told me that a house is not a home, but rather home is whom you hold close.  Every day you walked me to and from school even though I was at least 10 houses after yours and every day you would hug me on the front porch after...well my father left my mother and their children.  Your arms were welcoming with the smell of pine covering the fresh paint and your blue polo shirt smoothed by your mother was as polished as the doorknob I hammered crooked to this now forsaken tree house that only now holds the memories of our past. 
I didn't call you here to sit and stare at this tree house, our tree house that we built with our own hands nstead of doing homework and projects.  I just...it's been so long since we talked that even landline phones are dead to us.  We acknowledge each other in the hallway as you have a piece of what all the other guys at school call arm candy.  You strut around pretending you're top shit and only give me a nod when I greet you as we pass by.  I'm sorry that we live in two separate worlds now and hang around different people.  All I ask of you it that you don't take me for granted.  I never fully left you out of the picture, hell, my mother still has your grade 8 graduation photo hanging on the wall right next to mine. 
(pause) The welcome mat is still outside the front door. My mother had this rule when we were kids, remember?   It was, "If you don't leave you can't come back."  She used to say it to you almost all the time because your mother called worried sick because you had been gone for hours and you claimed you wanted to come back. Despite the word "welcome" on the front mat, you know that people are bound to leave.  You welcomed me into your life and the pristine welcome mat you had for me was a clear sign that you would be there for me forever, just like the welcome mat at my front door.  But this time you left and I'm scared you won't come back.  The welcome mat is not something sitting there for you to scrape your snow-covered boots on in the winter and be treated like dirt having dog shit rubbed in your face!  It is a sign of hospitality, friendliness, and acceptance. 
Wesley, I have no idea what you have been up to.  I'm not going to get into it because I shouldn't be figuring out what happens behind closed doors.  I have the feeling that you probably get hammered every Friday night and make out with your new girlfriend so hard that even the guys on the football team tell you two to get a room.  You probably do this without your mother knowing.  I just hope you wrap it up.  Don't get pissed at me for saying this, I'm only guessing.  You might even feel like you have to keep up with the lifestyle of the white picket fence outside your yard, being the picture-perfect family.   Guess what?  REALITY HITS AND NOTHING IN ANYONE'S GODDAMN HOUSE IS PERFECT!  We all have our struggles and we need support beams in our foundation for our upbringing.  You turned to stuff, not people - HELL NOT EVEN YOUR BEST FRIEND!  God, what has happened to us, Wes? 
(with graduated frustration) Is there even a flicker of hope for us?  It's as if the hydro bill stopped being paid and all we have is a tea candle at the end of its wick.  Is it really worth lighting it when we both know it won't keep either of us warm and it will eventually burn out? 
I don't know about your perspective on this situation but I know where I stand for right now.  I don't want to lose you.  When you decide to straighten up, clear your mess, and rearrange, you know I am here.  You might end up with some bumps, scrapes, and scratches that will remind you of the time I helped you move your collection of photos from our numerous tree house adventures.  This time, my welcome mat is outside welcoming you home if you decide this is the place for you.  I never left, never moved.  I will be just the same for you as you once were for me - waiting for you in case you need to come home. 

________
AN
I wrote this for my grade 11 drama monologue. My prompt was, "write from the perspective of an inanimate object" and so I just chalked the monologue full of metaphors.