02. the bully challenges

"Excuse me?" Corbin spit out, challenging Lucas to repeat himself

            Oh crap.

            Why did Lucas have to taunt him?

             "You hit Hazel. Apologize," Lucas ordered, surprising me.

            Corbin chuckle at his sudden confidence. "That wouldn't have happened if she had mind her own business and stop trying to protect her precious boyfriend," he looks at me, "He should learn how to stand up for himself."

            I grit my teeth in anger. He's testing my limit here. Just because his family is rich and powerful doesn't mean he get to do whatever he wants.

            I lower my eyes to avoid his gaze and see Lucas's hands forming a tight fist that his knuckles has popped out.

            Corbin must've noticed this too because he asked, "What? Did I hit a nerve?" Corbin provoke Lucas. 

            Lucas suddenly grab Corbin's collar and held up his fist causing a shocking gasp to escape my mouth.

            I watch as Corbin look between Lucas and his fist. "Hit me. I dare you," Corbin challenge him.

            Not wanting this to get out of hand, I speak up, "Don't do it. Be the bigger person. He's not worth your time, Lucas."

            My comment must've been funny to Corbin since he's chuckling right now. "There she goes again. Standing up for you," Corbin said.

            Lucas didn't say anything and just stare at him. "If you're not going to hit me, then let me go. You're wasting my time," Corbin spit out causing Lucas's jaws to tighten. I move closer towards them and place my hand on Lucas's hand which is still holding tightly onto Corbin's collar. I stare at Lucas, giving him a 'let him go' look. Lucas stare at me for a few seconds before I feel his hand release Corbin. Lucas put down his fist and let go of Corbin.

            I let out a sigh of relief.

            Lucas step back from Corbin while Corbin fix his shirt.

            "Later, princess." Corbin leaves after flashing his signature smirk, knowing that he's won.

            -

            I speed walk to the parking lot, ready to get out of school.

            Since Lucas and I live about a good 5 minutes away from each other, he always picks me up and drop me off at home ever since last year when he got his license. I just got my license a few months ago but still don't have a car which sucks.

            I walk to Lucas's car because he always waits for me there. Only a few feet away from Lucas's car, I can see Lucas talking to a guy who's back is towards me. He's wearing a black sweater with the hoodie on which made it difficult to tell who it is.

            I made eye contact with Lucas and his expression looks surprised to see me. My eyebrows furrow in confusion. Why does he look so suspicious?

            I walk closer towards them, hoping I can see who the guy in the black hoodie is but he walks away from Lucas. I approach Lucas and asks, "Who was that?"

            "Just someone," he shrug casually and get inside his car. I eye him suspiciously before getting inside the car on the passenger side. I can tell he doesn't want to talk about it so I dropped the topic and didn't bother asking him throughout the whole drive home.